Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Arboreal Not Eating

wangtrevor

Reaction score
I took it from a drying pond and it is pretty small. So far i have tried de-legged pinhead crickets, de-legged small crickets, tubliflex worms, and meal worms.
Should i try fruit flies since there were a ton on the pond weed? Also, i was told to try black worms since they were bigger. What else would be good that i could find at a pet store or in a garden/field in Santa Clara,CA

Attachments

• salamander.jpg
    salamander.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 5,687
  • salamander1.jpg
    salamander1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 4,614
Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Given that it´s a metamorph, why not leave it where it was and let it fend for itself rather that take it home and face the possibility of it not adapting well? If it had been a larvae, then alright, but this little guy should not be faced by its pond drying up.

Revan

Reaction score
Are you planning on adopting him for the long haul? If not please put him back asap.

wangtrevor

Reaction score
Are you planning on adopting him for the long haul? If not please put him back asap.

i may keep him. the pond i found him in is completely dry and nearby lakes are fille dwith bass, panfish or tiger salamders which are huge. if he does not start eating(stress?) i may just put him at the pond or a nearby lake

Revan

Reaction score
i may keep him. the pond i found him in is completely dry and nearby lakes are fille dwith bass, panfish or tiger salamders which are huge. if he does not start eating(stress?) i may just put him at the pond or a nearby lake

Sorry about the late reply, I should have checked back here sooner.

You really need to decide what your are doing with the little guy right now. The longer you keep the poor animal captive, the more chance it won't survive in the wild.

If he doesn't eat for another few weeks and you put him back, he's going to be underfed and stressed out. I've seen salamanders refuse food for well over a month.

Try anything small enough for the food source; bloodworms, black worms, even if you can only get frozen foods, they will be sufficient. Try and not handle him, or move around his setup as this will stress the morph out.

Let us know how you get on please.

wangtrevor

Reaction score
Sorry about the late reply, I should have checked back here sooner.

You really need to decide what your are doing with the little guy right now. The longer you keep the poor animal captive, the more chance it won't survive in the wild.

If he doesn't eat for another few weeks and you put him back, he's going to be underfed and stressed out. I've seen salamanders refuse food for well over a month.

Try anything small enough for the food source; bloodworms, black worms, even if you can only get frozen foods, they will be sufficient. Try and not handle him, or move around his setup as this will stress the morph out.

Let us know how you get on please.

The fruit flies have been dissapearing. I cant find any in my house running around. Im not sure if they are escaping so I taped some of the air holes that are big. I would watch but he doesnt eat when i watch.

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
You may try Springtails, which you can buy online or find under moist rotting logs. Otherwise, I would find a proper habitat to release it in.

peter5930

Reaction score
I can't speak for this species, but my Aneides lugubris have always been a bit meh when it comes to worms, and they love small insects that twitch around like fruit flies and springtails. They're very good at catching small insects with their tongues, and you might find that they've evolved to respond more strongly to insect prey than to worms since they're not a particularly fossorial species and worms rarely climb trees.

grius

Reaction score
I have noticed the same as Peter with A.lugubris. I have however only tried small cut pieces lob so far and have dendro as next test. But crickets and flies they gladly hunt down, and woodlice as I put in a little 5cm high cup on the floor which they eat from.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1