Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter recommendations

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I have an internal filter that is wonderful except it isn't suitable for the volume of water in my tank! I bought it when I had my tank half full and now it's 3/4 full. It was coping while I had one axolotl but It's obviously being clogged up with gunk much quicker now that I have two. The volume is approximately 130L so I don't know if an external filter is really necessary (not to mention out of my price range) and I've read the thread about filter choices but I just want to see what brand & type people would recommend for this volume/size of tank (3ft). I don't intend to upgrade to a larger tank in the future but just in case I do, I want to purchase a filter that will handle approximately 200L so I don't have to go looking for a 3rd filter later on!

tusken raider

Reaction score
I know you said you can't really afford it but i would recommend an eheim external filter. I have a 2215 in my 54L at the moment which is capable to handle up to 350L only cost me $150 and you can add a chiller into the system no worries. I think the model down 2213 sells for $100.

I started off with all internal filters in my tanks but slowly phasing them out as i find they just can't cope

birdyy

Reaction score
my tank is 3ft and i'm putting in a eheim 2213 in there because in all my research they are very good while still being reasonably priced.

i'm ordering mine from a store in melbourne called amazing amazon :)

jessicaanne

Reaction score
i'm ordering mine from a store in melbourne called amazing amazon :)

Ahh yes, I bought my tank & sand from them :)

I've looked at eheim canister filters so thanks for both of your suggestions. Perhaps I will just save up which will take a while as I'm a little bit in debt with my mum and she'll jump up and down if I put the 'fish' first :lol: Tusken raider, where have you purchased yours from? I've tried looking for the best deal but the good deals online are ruined by the hefty postage costs!

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Okay I just looked at the one on amazing amazon and I think I'm going to go with that. Perhaps the boyfriend will be generous enough to pay for it seeing as though he's loaded so what's $130 going to do to his bank balance? :rolleyes: Oh and the great part is FREE SHIPPING!

tusken raider

Reaction score
i get all my stuff from Age of aquariums heaps of products and a flat rate of shipping $7.50 worth a look if you need a lot of stuff.

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Age of Aquariums is one of four websites that I've book marked in regards to the filter and other bits and pieces :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1