New article about kaiseri

markusA

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Recently an Iranian herpetologist published a paper about his research in kaiseri and microspilotus,
The most interesting thing (and not surprising for me) is the fact that he found much more kaiseri individuals during his research than estimated before for the whole population. For example 10.000 individuals in a pool below a waterfall. And that is just one site...
In contrast to that it seems, that populations of microspilotus are shrinking.

The article is in German language, I have problems to insert the English abstract into this post.

Torki, F. (2012): Distribution, morphology, ecology, biology and keeping of two Iranian salamanders. Sauria, 34 (1): 3-20

just copied from the pdf:

Verbreitung, Morphologie, Ökologie, Biologie und Haltung von zwei iranischen Salamandern
Farhang Torki

Abstract
New data is provided on the two species of newts endemic to the Iranian Plateau and distributed on the western slope of
the Zagros Mountains: Neurergus kaiseri and N. microspilotus. The number of known localities of N. kaiseri is increased
to eight, and the likely dispersal of this species down the Czar River is discussed. The population persisting in the
wild is much larger than previously supposed and does not quite warrant its IUCN status as “Critically Endangered”.
Population dynamics and conservation issues are detailed for both species, and the need for addressing recently emerged
human threats is outlined. Sexual dimorphism exists in both newts. Behavioural observations from the captive keeping
of N. kaiseri are summarized.
Key words: Amphibia: Caudata: Salamandridae: Neurergus kaiseri (Schmidt, 1952), N. microspilotus (Nesterov, 1917):
distribution; new records; ecology; biology; conservation; sexual dimorphism; captive keeping.

That is very good news. Thank you for posting Markus

I hope this doesn't lead to a change in their protection (i.e. now 'endangered' rather than 'critically endangered') and the relaxation of the ban on exportation. I would hate to see people tanking advantage of this and campaigning for a relaxation on the ban just because numbers are higher than previously thought. Its still a rare species that needs protection.

Thanks for bringing this article to our attention. Very interesting.:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt the CITES listing will ever be reversed. The CITES listing is an example of over excitement and decisions made partially on emotions and what was known to be incomplete data. The decision was made based on slanted "best guess" information.

The protected status is not going to change, but the CITES inclussion, might...i doubt it, but it might. It was done waaaaaay too late and it was quite pointless.

The species was "protected" to begin with. CITES confers no protection from harvest, only from LEGAL export. In this case, CITES 1 listing prevents hundreds or thousands of CB animals from crossing international borders. A downgrade is forseeable, and such changes certainly occur. It was originally reasonably argued, that CITES 1 was unjustified because legal export of WC animals was only possible from one country, making CITES 3 all that was truly needed. The downside of that is that Oman and Ukraine would then be able to export hundreds or thousands of "CB" animals without any CITES requirements at either end. On the other hand, so too could the many breeders currently ACTUALLY producing thousands. With regard to the smuggled WC animals, the shoes would be right back on the feet of Iran to crack down on the illegal harvest [they ARE sold illegally INSIDE Iran, as well as exported], and on the laundering countries as well. Not that I think Iran has a great legal system or should be cracking down on anything at all...but that's beside the point.

Regardless, it remains to be seen what will happen. It's worth noting that the author of this study is ALSO one of those who sounded the alarm on the decline in the first place. It stands to reason that if his evidence was used to upgrade protection, it should equally be used to downgrade, as suitable.

I'm not surprised by the numbers. Long-toed salamanders here are considered "sensitive", and were previously "threatened" I believe. I have seen as many as 50 in 15 minutes during breeding, and know of ponds with estimated adult populations of 10000. I saw an estimate of 700 animals TOTAL for southern torrent salamanders, a species found from the Little Nestuca River of Oregon, into the southern Cascades, and south almost to San Francisco. There are a large number of known streams in which they occur. In one pool on one stream, I saw a half dozen or so adults or sub-adults. So what are the odds of me finding 10% of the world population in mid-summer at one tiny part of the range? Some of these estimates are insanely conservative, and I suspect the science is being bent to suit an agenda. No surprise there, but it hurts both conservation and the scientific community in the long run when some studies effectively lie to suit an end goal [/rant]. Which is not to say that I think any of this particular author's studies fall into that pattern.

Markus, if you have this paper, could you send me a copy please? If Johnny hasn't asked for it, I'm sure he will as well.

If Johnny hasn't asked for it, I'm sure he will as well.

You got that right!

I am in process of tracking it down. It appears unobtainable from my end of the web, but I have ordered it through my university. They can be touch and go though.

I am heading down to University of Nebraska, Lincoln next month though. I am certain I can get it through them if we cannot find it sooner here.

I received it. I'll send it to you tonight. Did you get your hands on the Austrian paper regarding the status of Neurergus derjugini?

Thanks!

Not as of yet, but I have my crawler working in another tab. I'll get it out to you soon.

I did a search on N. kaiseri. Most of the information on the net is out of date. Many pages use the same sources and quote out of date information. The caudata culture page is also out of date.
It reminds me of old T.F.H. books that go back to out of date and inaccurate sources and put a new cover on it.

The new information in this thread is refreshing. I hope somebody with more ambition than me updates the rest of the info about Nurergus kaiseri on caudata.org and caudata culture.

That is refreshing to hear. They are far too beautiful of a newt to have such high potential of becoming extinct in the wild.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back