Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frogbit

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I'm just curious as to whether many people have experience with frogbit in their aquarium? I was initially after duckweed but read that most people found it too messy so I ordered 5 pieces of frogbit off ebay and they arrived in the post yesterday. I rinsed them in dechlorinated water to get rid of the dirt and mossy bits (I assume they were from the sender's pond) and of course they didn't look great from the lack of water etc, however they look a tad worse today so I'm hoping they re-cooperate or so to speak now that they are in fresh water again. Will I need to quarantine for 30 days or could I get away with putting them in my tank earlier? (I'm under the impression that they'll absorb the toxic stuff while I'm cycling so I want them in there asap)

As they are floating plants will I need to provide any plant 'food' or will the waste in the tank be enough for them to survive when they eventually go into my axy tank? If people do have experience with it, will it spread quickly if at all? I only ask because I'm hoping to cover almost all of the surface.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I swear by it, but I do not use it in large body caudate tanks as they tend to get eaten by mistake. (Axolotls in particular have this habit)

I find it particularly useful for rearing larvae and breeding anabantoid fishes. It is great turtle chow too.

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with my axolotl's trying to eat it however my wild type loves it because she hangs out at the top a lot and just sits in the roots all day. There are a few pads that are beginning to look brown but new sprouts are also coming through so I may just remove the sick looking ones so the water doesn't spoil.

jane1187

Reaction score
I have used it but I find it needs too much light, more than I provide for my tanks and hence it has gradually died off. Then again my tanks aren't in the brightest of rooms. Make sure you have some light for it.

Also mine did get ravaged by the angelfish in my aquarium (where I put my remaining pieces as it is the only tank I have with a strong light source) so I imagine axies will have a good nibble if they want to.

I am however having some luck with something called water 'lettuce' (Pinista sp. I think) which has been growing well in one of my tanks. Maybe you could try both.

Martin21114

Reaction score
I have it in 3 tanks. It does need a lot of light, but if you have a lot of hides that is no problem, especially because once it gets going it will block a lot of that light anyway. I think the light and shadow areas looks good and the plant itself is fairly attractive too. I like how the roots look when you get nice patch going.

jessicaanne

Reaction score
I don't have a light so my tank only receives natural light during the day and general lighting when people use the lounge room in the evening/night. I think I'll just take it out because the dead parts are probably doing more harm than good to the water quality. I bought a handful of java moss which I understand thrives without lighting but I was really after a good floating plant without having to incorporate extra lighting. Does water wisteria do well with minimal light?

esn

Reaction score
I adore frogbit and duckweed. It doesn't survive long in my axolotl or frog tanks (the frogs pound it to pieces swimming up and down), but I love to get huge amounts of it. You should be able to easily get enough for a 20 long tank for just a dollar, since it's a "pest" in a lot of fish stores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!