Bert & Ernie or Bert & Aerin??

KingCam

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cam
So my tiger salamanders are totally confusing.

Originally named Bert & Ernie when they were still larvae because I didn't know how to tell gender back then and just guessed that they were both males. lol.

Then, immediately following their morph Ernie's cloaca puffed up a bit. I did some searches on the forum and found out it was relatively easy to tell a male from a female, because the males have big bulky cloacas.

To me that meant Ernie was a male and Bert was actually Burtha.

About a month ago now, I had to unearth Burtha because she had buried herself and wouldn't come out to eat for over a month. After taking her out she immediately became interested in food and has been feeding strongly ever since.

I have noticed that since I dug her up, Burtha's cloaca is huge. In fact, it's not just huge. It's shaped exactly like how I would expect salamander testicles to be shaped. So Burtha officially goes back to being Bert. Everyone still with me on the names? lol. I thought about calling them just 1 & 2 for the sake of this thread, but I decided that wouldn't be any less confusing.

Ernie's cloaca looks nothing like Bert's. In fact, now it looks almost flat compared to Bert's (but it does have a bit of bulge to it). So I'm wondering if Ernie is actually a female?! Jeeze, I have never felt so "sexually confused" as I do right now. haha, pun intended.

So. Pictures say 1,000 words, and I hope each of these is worth at least that many because it took me FOREVER to get these shots. Sorry for the large size, I wanted detail to be visible.

Salamander 1 | Burt:
04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Salamander 2 | Ernie (or Aerin?):
01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Like I said, I am pretty certain Salamander 1 is a male. My question is, what is Salamander 2? Male or Female?

Thanks in advance! :D

I would say two males.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back