Question: What colour is this baby axie

Luxiixul

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I obtained a few eggs from the local petshop last weekend and some of the babies are hatching now. We have no clue who the parents are since all axies are put in the same tank.
The little guy here in the picture looks to my untrained eye that he lacks yellow pigments and the shiny ring around the eyes, words like melanoid (m/m) and axanthic (ax/ax) immediately appeared in my mind. However i have never seen babies other than WT, albino and Leucistic, I have no idea what other babies would look like. Some friends suggest to me that its a leucistic, but other 2 leucistic babies i have don't have that much of black around the body. Can anyone please help me out here? Thanks!!

Luxi

A picture would be helpful.

Oops, didnt realised the pictures weren't attached properly.

Attachments

• Leo_up.jpg
    Leo_up.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 648
  • Leo_Left.jpg
    Leo_Left.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 645
  • Leo Right.jpg
    Leo Right.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 588
One more question. I saw front legs budding out from the body only at 2 day old!!
is that normal?!?! photo was taken with another axie born on the same day. both of them have legs this size.

Attachments

• Front legs developing in day 2!-1.jpg
    Front legs developing in day 2!-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 5,462
It could be a melanoid, if it doesn't have the shiny ring around it's eye. But it might be too early to tell. Otherwise, it's probably just a wildtype.

I agree. Typing larvae is futile. Wait until they're a few weeks old.

I've never seen leg buds on larvae that age.

Very cute! I've noticed that one of my (very) late hatchers was similar- leg buds visible just before s/he hatched a few days ago- it'll be interesting to see if their growth is impacted by it...

I am gonna have to say wildtype also.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

it's been more than 6 weeks since the birth of this little guy (Leo) , and i havent been able to tell the exact colour of it. One thing for sure is that he cant be a light wild type simply due to the lack of the shiny ring around the eyes. In addition, i dont see any yellow pigment at all on his body. Since i have never seen a melanoid baby, i wonder whether the black dots will merge and fully cover his body as he grows, or he will remain like this? :confused:

The last photo is Panda, same age, I though I'd just share with you all her beautiful smile:D

Attachments

• IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,397
  • IMG_3960.jpg
    IMG_3960.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,710
I have some 5 day olds that look similar. Their mother is a blueish melanoid and their father a dark green wild type. I have a couple of obvious wild type larvae and 4 light to dark grey speckled ones I am hoping will be grey melanoids.

I'm guessing melanoid, and hope you keep updating the pictures!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back