Illness/Sickness: SICK Cynops Pyrrhogaster :(

zoezakella

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zoe
Hoping someone on here can help me with my sick newt :(

I got Oddie & Garfield a few years ago from Evut and Oddie has always been the strongest, bigger one but for the last 3 days has refused worms which is not like him at all. His eyes have also gone bluey and big and just dont look right. He had a full shed the other day but still has lots of bits hanging off him, have helped him with some bits but he looks in poor shape :(

I had to seperate the two newts a few months back due to Garfield not being aquatic and staying at the top a lot, despite eating the same Garfield was a 1/3 of the size of Oddie and I decided to seperate them and since doing that Garfield has gone fully aquatic and doubled in size so it seems Oddie was the dominant one which was why Garfield favoured staying at the top of the tank on the leaves!

Water parameters are fine as is temperature. He is not on any substrate, just plants and a polyresin rock ornament.

Any advice on how I can help him would be much appreciated as I am worried about him and newt illness is a first for me so unsure if you can treat them in the same way you would an axololt!

THANKS, Zoe

Attachments

• ODDIE1.jpg
    ODDIE1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 272
  • ODDIE2.jpg
    ODDIE2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 258
  • ODDIE3.jpg
    ODDIE3.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 288
Here is two piccies of Oddie taken 2 weeks ago, you can see the difference!

Attachments

• ODDIE4.jpg
    ODDIE4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 258
  • ODDIE5.jpg
    ODDIE5.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 297
Having spoken with Julia (bellaballoo) she asked on whether his skin was shiny, 1st 2 piccies are off Oddie out of the water & 3rd piccy is of Garfield so you can compare the skin

Attachments

• ODDIE6.jpg
    ODDIE6.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 207
  • ODDIE7.jpg
    ODDIE7.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 218
  • GARFIELD.jpg
    GARFIELD.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 365
Sorry to hear about this, Zoe...
I wish i could give better advice but i only have suspicions of what this might be. I´ve seen it happen with some of my animals too (not C.pyrrhogaster, though) and my main hypothesis is some kind of infection but i have no idea if it´s bacterial, viral, fungal...Whatever it is, it seems to be rather common in a number of species and widespread among hobbyists.
I´ve had partial success by keeping such animals cool and making an effort in getting them to eat (waxworms are great for this purpose). Some never really recover and just get slowly thinner until weeks or even months later, it´s over.
If it´s an option, the ideal thing would be to take it to a vet and get some cultures. Other than that, cool temps, plenty of food and a lot of luck.

PS: I also suspect another possible cause which might be extremely low water hardness. We have ridiculously low hardness here and since i added limestone to my tanks, this kind of problem hasn´t shown its face, but this could be completely uncorrelated.

Rodrigo, really appreciate your time in trying to help Oddie.

Am gutted it may not be an easy thing for him to get over all I can do is try my very best for him and will get some wax worms first thing in the morning and see if that helps.

Its pretty cold here in the UK now and I know in the past with my sick axies instead of fridging them I put them into the conservatory as its pretty cold out there so would it be a good idea to put him into the conservatory for the time being??

Thanks so much again appreciate your help!

Zoe

That´s what i would do. Other than the waxworms, which will help, i would only offer food items that are rich in calcium, like earthworms, crustaceans and perhaps even formulated pellets, just in case it´s in any way calcium related (which i can´t confirm but is a possibility and seemed to help in a couple of occasions). Bare in mind that all i´m saying here is purely speculative and based on superfitial observations on animals with nearly identical symptoms, but my suspicions may be entirely missguided.

I have heard of some newly discovered bacteria that appear to be widespread and cause this kind of symtoms, but without a veterinary screening i wouldn´t even know what to suggest as a course of action against such infections.

Lovely have just popped him out their so fingers crossed!

I must confess to being worried about taking him to a vets due to the lack of knowledge with some of them but I will do a phone around and see if I can find one that has some experience!

Again appreciate your time and help and I realise its not an easy thing for you to diagnose as such so thanks for at least trying to suggest things it all helps!

Thanks again, Zoe

That´s what i would do. Other than the waxworms, which will help, i would only offer food items that are rich in calcium, like earthworms, crustaceans and perhaps even formulated pellets, just in case it´s in any way calcium related (which i can´t confirm but is a possibility and seemed to help in a couple of occasions). Bare in mind that all i´m saying here is purely speculative and based on superfitial observations on animals with nearly identical symptoms, but my suspicions may be entirely missguided.

I have heard of some newly discovered bacteria that appear to be widespread and cause this kind of symtoms, but without a veterinary screening i wouldn´t even know what to suggest as a course of action against such infections.

Lovely have just popped him out their so fingers crossed!

I must confess to being worried about taking him to a vets due to the lack of knowledge with some of them but I will do a phone around and see if I can find one that has some experience!

Again appreciate your time and help and I realise its not an easy thing for you to diagnose as such so thanks for at least trying to suggest things it all helps!

Thanks again, Zoe

Hi,

I would certainly recommend getting him to a vet. Your local vets should have someone they refer to - there are some of us about!

Hope you can get him sorted out.

Bruce.

Hi,

I would certainly recommend getting him to a vet. Your local vets should have someone they refer to - there are some of us about!

Hope you can get him sorted out.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread!

Spoke to Rodrigo this am as Evut had suggested a possible salt bath. Despite getting some waxworms he is still not interested in any food and his eyes seem bluer this morning :(

Will do a ring around if you think they will be able to help as am at a loss with him!

Thanks again Zoe

Well our local exotic vet is back from holiday tomorrow BUT although Oddie is still not eating his skin is looking better and his eyes seem to be less blue so fingers crossed!!

Attachments

• ODDIE BETTER.jpg
    ODDIE BETTER.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 227
  • ODDIE BETTER1.jpg
    ODDIE BETTER1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 252
Ok quick update for you! Spoke to the vet a few weeks ago and he said the same as Rodrigo, possible fungal infection / bacterial etc.

Anyway since the start of this I have kept him in his tank with low water to enable him to be aquatic or perch on top of plants etc as that was what he was doing for quite a while!

Anyway since then and for the last few weeks I am pleased to update Oddie is looking LOADS BETTER and is eating again (1st piccy eating a worm) :D

The only things still outstanding are his eyes are still a bit blue but his skin is back to normal BUT has got lighter and more brown with light speckles/mottling??, any ideas on why the skin would change colour???

He is fully aquatic again so obviously feeling a lot better and tonight he swam up halfway to get his dinner!

Am chuffed to bits that he has recovered despite the 2 above slight concerns and would like to thank especially Rodrigo for his support and help and all the others that have also helped (Evut, Bellabelloo & Bruce) very much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• Oddie1.jpg
    Oddie1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Oddie2.jpg
    Oddie2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Oddie3.jpg
    Oddie3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 193
That´s fantastic! I´m very glad to see such a progress, well done!
The lighter skin tone is very normal. Some individuals seem to sift from light to dark more than others but every individual is capable of these changes. I think changes in temperature might have something to do with it. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about in that aspect.
The cloudy eyes might persist, not necessarily being a significant impediment, but they might also revert to normality in time.
It has good body weight and the skin looks very healthy indeed, so you can relax xD
Is it swimming and behaving normally?

That´s fantastic! I´m very glad to see such a progress, well done!
The lighter skin tone is very normal. Some individuals seem to sift from light to dark more than others but every individual is capable of these changes. I think changes in temperature might have something to do with it. Anyway, you have nothing to worry about in that aspect.
The cloudy eyes might persist, not necessarily being a significant impediment, but they might also revert to normality in time.
It has good body weight and the skin looks very healthy indeed, so :Dyou can relax xD
Is it swimming and behaving normally?

Thanks Rodrigo :) Thats good news regarding the skin :) his eyes are nowhere near as bad so am glad :)

As for normal behavior yes he is completely back to normal so will move him back in soon!!

Again thanks so much for your help and support really do appreciate it, really thought I would lose Oddie so your help and support really helped!! :D

I was just peering at his some of his siblings, who are currently harassing the female(s). My males have changed colour for a while now, I was wondering if Oddie was developing some breeding colours.

Attachments

• 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 231
I was just peering at his some of his siblings, who are currently harassing the female(s). My males have changed colour for a while now, I was wondering if Oddie was developing some breeding colours.

Nice piccy Julia :) Think you may be right, yours is looking good!! x

Have moved Oddie back into the house again, am really pleased with how well he is looking now :) Here are some updated piccies for you, as you can see he is looking a lot better :D

Attachments

• ODDIE BETTER.jpg
    ODDIE BETTER.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 181
  • ODDIE BETTER 1.jpg
    ODDIE BETTER 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 218
Am sad to say I found Oddie upside down this morning am gutted.

RIP Oddie :cry:

Very sad :( just when he seemed to be doing better. Do his tankmates seem healthy?

Very sad :( just when he seemed to be doing better. Do his tankmates seem healthy?

I only ever had 2 of them and seperated them a few months back due to Oddie beign the bigger one despite them eating the same. garfield would not go aquatic and it turned out it was Oddie dominating him. As soon as I seperated them garfield went aquatic within a week and is now the same size as what Oddie was so thankfully Garfield is fine due to being in a seperate tank.

Argh....sorry Zoe...it looked like such a nice recovery...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back