Question: Where to get earthworms, and how to keep a steady supply?

xasdfcore

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tess
I'm getting 2 new juvenile axies next week. I was planning on feeding them bloodworms & pellets for a while, just because I already have those things. But I do want to make earthworms their staple diet. Where could I get a good supply? Also, When should I introduce this new food to them? And how can I keep a steady supply indoors with limited space?

If you can find a hardware store, they usually sell big boxes of them and you just just keep adding your food scraps to it

Hi Tess I have a plastic storage box that I keep on my back stairs where it is cold and dark. It is approx 12" by 12" in size and filled 2 " from the top with soil and air holes poked in the lid.
I started with 100 dendrobaena (earthworms) and keep the soil moist not wet.
I feed them every 3 days a sprinkling of a powder I bought from ebay labeled worm food but vegetable peelings would suffice. I then cover their food over so its an inch under the soil. They also enjoy shredded and dampened newspaper (black & white only).
Ive now got a good rotation of white worms that I feed my newts, medium worms ready to produce eggs and large worms to feed my axolotls :) every now and again I buy about 20 adults to pop in to keep me topped up with large worms.
Tips from experience would be less is more when feeding or it will smell, damp rather than wet or they will drown and I had an abundance of minute spider things for the first 2 weeks which disappeared on their own. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back