Sad Day (loss)

Cleigh9579

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cleigh9579
Well, I am unsure as to what happened, but I came home from work yesterday and all but 4 of my newly hatched Axolotls had died, I believe I had roughly 16 or so.
I checked water quality and everything was good. I immediately got the four out of the large container and put them in a new container with new water. One did erratic wild fast swimming in circles for short spurts, after about 4 of these little fits it seemed to be fine. The other 3 seem fine, I have been doing 20% water changes a day, feeding live daphnia and had a piece of live plant in with them.
I am just hoping that the four make it. I understand that loss is a common acurance with babies but it doesn’t make it any better.
Just needed to vent a little about my loss,
Thanks for letting me.

Sometimes I don't know why they die. I've had babies several times. And sometimes 90% survives. And then another batch... just 20%. And I do what I know is right to raise them.

I kinda figured it was something I couldnt control. I am letting it go and hopein the the 4 make it. As of 7am this morning they were looking good. But I wont be home until 5:30 and a lot can happen in that amount of time, All I can do is my best, the rest is up to nature. :)

Well my remaining four seem to be doing good, I am a little worried about one that seems like a runt, but we will see. I have nicked name the bunch for now, Ee-nie, Mee-nie, Min-ie and Mo,
Still not letting myself get to attached as I am scared that since I lost so many so fast I may just have the strongest of the bunch and I could still lose them as well. Hope everyone is having a great day, cant wait to get home and check on my 4.

the four are still doing good, Starting to hope just a little that they will make it.

Hope they do well! I'm hoping to breed my two so this maoes me so sad x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

sorry you lost so many, glad your four are ok. Wishing them good health and long lives.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back