Question: Godric doesn't play well with others?

EmbryH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Embry
My axolotl is a little over a year old now, and though I'm not looking into it right now, I would eventually like to get another axie at some point in time.

The problem is that I acquired Godric in the first place because he didn't get along with his previous tank mate, who is still owned by one of my housemates. Godric was a bit of a bully, and eventually his tank mate had enough of it and took one of Godric's feet off. My housemate had to separate them, and thus Godric fell into my care.

I'm absolutely in love with him, I really am, but I was wondering if he might ever be capable of having a tank mate and, if so, are there any steps I can take to make his environment a little more harmonious and conducive to a new axie?

It's really hard to say. If a tank is very well planted, has lots of hiding places and the axies are kept well fed, the aggressive behavior may subside, but there's no guarantee. If he was capable of bullying before, he'll be capable of doing it again. I would say don't risk it unless you're willing and able to afford a second set up in case he just isn't at all interested in having a tank mate, for the sake of both of them.- some axolotls just do better on their own.

How much is "well fed" ? Before I got him, he was fed once a week, 2-3 earthworms each feeding. I like to feed Godric twice a week, 1-2 earthworms each feeding, and occasionally a feeder fish as a treat. Does that sound fed enough to discourage bullying?

The average for an adult should be about 3 times a week. My juveniles are fed daily until they hit the 6 inch mark, so he could have been eating a lot more when he was younger. This could have been the reason why the bullying began in the first place. Axolotls are definitely willing the nip anything moving if they're hungry, including tankmates. If you're able to vary his diet with extra sources such a pellets, blood worm, etc he should be getting enough. For example, you could give him 2 good sized earthworms plus a couple of pellets 3 times a week and it should keep him happy.

Awesome! Thank you!

When I first got him and he had to regenerate a few limbs I fed him daily, so at least he hasn't been underfed his entire life ><;

I'll start giving him a bit more now :)

I agree with Dinx/Neeka (sorry! I'm not sure what you would prefer to be called!)

Mine tend to get a little bitey with one another during feeding time, which is why I feed them when they are on opposite sides of the tanks.

OMG! I HAVE TO USE THIS SMILEY :frog: I have pet frogs too!

I agree with Dinx/Neeka (sorry! I'm not sure what you would prefer to be called!)

Mine tend to get a little bitey with one another during feeding time, which is why I feed them when they are on opposite sides of the tanks.

OMG! I HAVE TO USE THIS SMILEY :frog: I have pet frogs too!

That's ok :lol: They're both nicknames so it really doesn't matter!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back