Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey guys

jammiiee05

Reaction score
Hey axie fans,
I just have a question.. May seem silly but I am finding it a little hard connecting with my little one he is about 13 weeks now I've had him for three weeks.. Every time i go near his tank I talk to Lottie (that's his name) and I just sit and watch him play & hide and do all the cute things he does... Any tips/ideas??

Thanks guys :)
Jamie

esn

Reaction score
What do you mean by connecting? You're not going to be able to train it to sit and swim through rings. They may be called waterdogs, but they are nowhere near as intelligent as dogs. They don't form attachments. Your entire relationship is going to be watching him swim and eat. At the most he might recognize movement in front of the tank as being an indicator of food - this is not necessarily knowing you as a person. It would be more of a conditioned response, like "Big shadow in front of tank = food."

If you're expecting a meaningful pet/owner relationship, you're not going to find it in axolotls. They simply don't have the capability for that.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Although I feel axolotls don't present higher feelings (some people may disagree with me) I do feel they are able to recognize their owner. Some also disagree with this. I have several axolotls that will only come out to eat if its me feeding them - not easy if you have to go away for a while! People come up with their own theories but from experience, that's how I feel. He's only been in his new home for 3 weeks so he's most likely still re-adjusting and getting used to his new feeder (you) and his surroundings. Give it a while and he should become a little more extroverted; being happy and feeling safe when not hiding, waiting for food, and greeting you when you approach the tank. The key here, I feel, is definitely time.

xxianxx

Reaction score
My adult axolotls recognize me and come to the front of the tank to be fed but ignore my wife as they must have realized she doesn't drop worms in the tank. As for establishing a meaningful relationship with an axolotl , I am afraid cupboard love is as far as it can get.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Yep. All my critters love Dee because she's the one who (over) feeds them. I'm the other big pink thing, the scary one who reaches in the tank, sticks syphons in there and touches the filter:evil:

FireStar

Reaction score
Hey axie fans,
I just have a question.. May seem silly but I am finding it a little hard connecting with my little one he is about 13 weeks now I've had him for three weeks.. Every time i go near his tank I talk to Lottie (that's his name) and I just sit and watch him play & hide and do all the cute things he does... Any tips/ideas??

Thanks guys :)
Jamie

I've had my axies for a month now. I love just watching and feeding them. They happy to swim up to anyone who peers at them. You could try and put something new in their tank and watch their reactions. I put a bowl in mine with the intentions of using it as a dish for bloodworms (which was highly unsuccessful) but they love curling up in it (must upload the photos). Axolotls are curious so put something in which they can investigate.:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1