Help i think my axolotl is dieing!

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
Please help me, I my axolotls till filiments are gone and he is not eating what is wrong. I have him in a tub of water and I clean it with declorinated water daily. What is happening!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 2,178
Is this the same axolotl you were concerned about in another post or a different one? You're really not having a good time with them at the moment huh :( Have you checked your water parameters? How longs he been in the tub? When did you first notice the gill shrinkage and how long have the been like it? It looks like they've been "melted", not uncommon with ammonia spikes..

Different axolotl from the same tank, the other axolotl is doing better and the fungus is clearing. I am trying to get my hands on an ammonia test kit but so far no luck. It has been like this for about a week, maybe a day or two more. I think I may have an ammonia spike happening. Should I buy spring water from th grocerie store and start fridgeing? He has been in the tub for 3 days. This is not happening to either of my other axolotls who shared the same tank. Will my axolotl morph?

In relation to the morphing bit, it's very unlikely. I think most will die before they morph, so let's hope for the best and a speedy recovery for your little fella. Re: the water, i think as long as it's properly treated it won't be much different to bottled spring water. Are you doing water changes with the same temp water?

i agree with Olivia- Morphing is a Very Difficult process for an axie to go through, and something that only juvies have good outcomes from going through(and then only when done under experienced supervision).
Another thing to check out is the current in your tank- if it's too high, the gills can go very quickly.
As to food, maybe try some different foods- earthworms first (may need to try some different types), then move to bloodworms, blackworms (which can be expensive, but if you've got an axie who isn't eating they can be a godsend), pellets, and as a last resort beef or kangaroo heart (very high in fat so not really a good dietary staple).
Heads up, you've done the right thing so far!

You may have some luck with ( after trying all of caitie's suggestions) some prawn or better, freshwater shrimp. I've heard great things about hikari sinking carnivore pellets

I tossed in a cube of bloodworms and It seemed to spike his appetite. I is even nipping on a worm. Water changes with same temp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back