The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire Salamanders (Salamandra) The first salamanders described, this diverse genus of species and subspecies can be found throughout Europe and the Near-East. They are the animals that first come to mind when most people hear the word "salamander".

Old 14th December 2012   #1
stokay

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: stokay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mealworm safe?

Hello,
I started to hear some stories about mealworms and i wanted to be sure if they are true or not! I have a fire salamander and from time to time i am feeding him with mealworm.
Some people says i need to smash the head because they may bite salamander from inside!!!
Does anyone have any information about this. I was trying to find some info about their digestion system about acid and possiblity of animal to live inside the stomach but no chance!

stokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Mealworm safe?

Did you do a search on the forum? That question has been discussed many times.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012   #3
stokay

Nationality:

I checked and read about it! First of all nothing is clear. None of the person said any scientific proof! Second of all the newest was at least 2 years old post! I hope i can have some answer in certain.

Old 14th December 2012   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Pinch their heads off before you feed them to your newts and sals.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 15th December 2012   #5
stokay

Nationality:

So is this means , they are not safe?
Thank you.

Old 15th December 2012   #6
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Their mouths are not safe. The rest of them are.

It is best stated this way:
"The mealworm must be decapitated before feeding to an axie as it has strong mandibles capable of chewing through an axies internals." This was written by a moderator Jacquie in this thread.
As I said, a search of the forums on mealworms would have yielded this information several times. Here, and here and here and here, for starters.

However, they are not the best, nutritionally. Earthworms are the best.

Last edited by Otterwoman; 15th December 2012 at 12:35.