HELP!! My daphnia are dying...

axieglower

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angel
We have been trying so hard to keep daphnia alive. I have no idea what we are doing wrong. We had about 2000 and they were living and breeding and growing. Next day 95% of them were dead.... This is the third time this has happened. Most of our Axolotls are big enough eat frozen blood worms but some are still too small. I would appreciate any help or suggestions....

Daphnia are easily cultured by following a few easy steps

1) use cycled water for thier housing
2) try to limit using yeast as food as it fouls the water quickly
3) an open air line or sponge filter is the best for aeration
4) not all daphnia can take cold or hot temps so know which you have

and last but not least if all else fails Culturing Lives Foods Fresh Water - Arch Aquatics

I personally don't use daphnia, they seem too much of a hassle. I prefer BBS [Freshly hatched brine shrimp].

I prefer to use benign neglect for daphnia. I remove a bunch for feeding (with water), and then top it off with tank water. That's what qualifies for a water change. Other than that, they get fed occasionally, and get a long light cycle, and they generally do pretty well.

I culture Daphnia at Work. They are prone to population crashes but generally I go along with the " benign neglect" of Kaysie. I think a few tricks that work for me are:-

I feed excusivley on Algae (have to culture that as well)
They are placed in 10 litre buckets under a grow lanp that is on for 20 hours a day
I use sponge filters
I always have a few new cultures running in 2 litre bottles in case of a crash.

They are always harder to keep going in the winter. I suspect that this is light rather than temperature related as they are pretty much kept at a constant temperature year round.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back