Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie not eating much?

Dannitheexotic

Reaction score
I have two axolotls one is around 6 months old (lycan), and I reckon the other one is about 4 months(lucien). They were in the same tank until one seemed to start bullying the other, and I THINK I may have bot eggs from them, so I separated them about two days ago.
Lycan has been eating loads as usual (basically everything that gets dropped into the tank :p )
But Lucien only eats a bit, maybe 5 minutes worth instead of the see how much they eat in 10-15 minutes. Could there be a reason for this?
They aren't much smaller than each other, Lucien is maybe a cm smaller than Lycan, and not as fat. :confused:

Also on an unrelated bit, what do healthy gills look like? :D

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
How long has he been in the new tank? It may just be because he's moved and getting used to his new surroundings - often like when you first bring them home. Does he otherwise seems healthy and how much did he use to eat? Is your water quality A-ok? Gills can come in all shapes and sizes, determining what is healthy depends on the individual axolotl and if you feel their gills have deteriorated. If they were once long, luscious and fluffy but suddenly become bare and short, there may be issues with the water quality. If they're curled forward, it can be a sign of stress

Dannitheexotic

Reaction score
He's been in the tank around 2 days. He seems healthy, was in his hide for the first few hours but he's been out since then. And he's only ever ate as much as he is still eating. I didn't know whether that would be because of Lycan's bullying though.
And water quality is fine :)

And oh okay, their gills seem fine then. I just wanted to check :)

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I'd just keep an eye on him for now :happy: It may be because of the bullying or because the other one was "dominant" personality wise, so to speak. Some will rush for food while others will shy away and be left with the scraps. One of mine is an absolute cow for nicking all the food. If he's underweight it may be worth seeing if he'll eat a little a day to see if he can pack on some pounds. But just monitor his progress, see if he starts to eat more and come out of his shell. I doubt there's anything sinister going on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!