The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 9th January 2013   #1
UKMarch

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: UKMarch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filter recommendations?

Hi I am looking for some advice on getting a filter for my YD axolotl tank. It is 36x12x12 with slate bottom so have read on here that one with ceramic media is recommended. I was looking at a Fluval U2 but would be willing to invest in an external one if this would be better and less maintenance I have seen a Eheim 2215 but have no experience of these or similar and maintenance requirements/noise level etc. My ED has a Fuval U for her tropical setup and this has been fine quite quiet compared to her previous one which was an interpet and incredibly noisy and short lived. I would be gratefully for your opinions.

UKMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013   #2
kiathepooch

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

Personally id get an external filter,i had a fluval u4 running in my 4ft but it wasn't quiet enough.
Or sponge filters!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10th January 2013   #3
UKMarch

Nationality:
Rep: UKMarch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Filter recommendations?

Thanks for that I have had a quick look online at the Eheim 2213/2215, Fluval 106 and Eheim Ecco series does anyone have any advice? How often would a canister filter need to be maintained etc? I have no filter experience as my OH currently deals with the fish while I mainly do the fur & feathers but the axolotls are my responsibility too so want to make the right decisions.

UKMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013   #4
kiathepooch

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

Canister filters seem to be less problematic than internal and easier to maintain,well so I've found!all the ones you mentioned are popular,if you want a cheaper one,all pond solutions make an external that is supposed to perform well.
I find with my external i have more freedom to alter it by adding things like spray bars,longer tubes,more media...
I did like my internal,it did a great job with 3 axolotls but its was too loud for me and i couldn't get a happy medium.
I would go with what suits you best and not be talked into certain ones by stores!
I like the fact the tank is emptied with the external and i don't get soaked trying to mess with it. At the same time i didn't have to worry about leaks since it was in tank,or flooding my floor!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2