Newts appropriate for terrarium set-up?

maisy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Looking to set up another planted terrarium for some new newt/salamanders. The set-up will reach temps. up to 75 degrees F in the summer and around 65-70 the rest of the year. Already have Noto. V(red efts) in my other set-up so I'd like something different. My research tells me that the Marbeled Newts or the Crocodile newts are more heat tolerant. Also want to get newts that are not wild caught.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

SOME Tylototriton may be able to handle armer temperatures, but on average I've found mortality to increase significantly when kept 1) warm and 2) humid. With a moist hide, T.yangi, T.shanjing, and T.taliangensis have done well outdoors at low humidity and 30C [and night temperatures as low as -5C]. When warm AND humid though, they don't last long. I'm not sure 75 is too warm, but I expect that a hot spell in summer will easily cause your cage to exceed that. Your results, regardless of what species you choose, may improve if your terrarium has a screen lid, rather than glass - the main source of moisture will be the ground, not humidity, which well enable many species to do much better.

Thanks Frogeyes. The encolsure will have a screen lid. Most of the year the terrarium will be on the main floor of my home which can be rather dry during the cooler months since we have a forced air heating system here. In the summer the enclosure will be moved to the basement which can get as high as 75 degrees F during the hottest spells. It is very humid down in the basement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back