British Amphibian Keepers Society - Cannock (UK) April 21st 2013

BAKS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are now pleased to confirm that our April meeting will be held on 21st April, with the doors opening to the public at 12 noon. Table holders will be given access well before this time to get set up, we will notify folks of the time from which they can enter to set up at the time of booking.

We're tweaking things a bit this year too. Rather than just the one room we will be using 2 very slightly smaller ones this year, with plenty of signs up to show folks where to go etc within the venue. There will also be an ongoing demo through most of the event on viv decortating techniques, with the current plant been to do one more suited to tree frogs and a 2nd aimed at oophage pumilio. We'll post more details about this on the BAKS site closer to the time.

Now is the time to start booking your tables folks for any surplus captive bread amphibians, non-venomous invertebrates (including aquatic ones), live foods or dry goods sales. Remember, we scrapped table fees in favour of a new deposit system, so now you just need to join BAKS to be eligible for a table (please note that2012 memberships will not be valid for 2013 meetings however). Please note though that we do ask that folks let us know what they will be selling at the time of booking so that we can publicise this information.

Joining BAKS is very easy to do, you can either pay one of our 2 subscription options online, or sign up on the door (please note that there will be a £1 premium charged for joining on the door). Also, in addition to entrance to 1 or 2 meetings per year (depending on the subs option you chose) you will also receive access to our newsletters earlier than none paying members, and access to a members only area on our forums.

We will also be holding our free prize draw for all subs paying members who attend once again, with a prize supplied by our sponsors Arcadia Reptile, and possibly prizes supplied by our other sponsors at Repti-Liscious. :D Last year one lucky member walked away with an Arcadia Reptile 60cm T5HO viv canopy!! :cool:

More information is available on our website at B.A.K.S.

Once again, our venue will be:-

St Leonards Sports and Social Club
St Leonards Works,
St Leonards Avenue,
Stafford,
Staffordshire.
ST17 4LX

We have a map showing the location of the venue on our site here Venue.

Regards

Ade

PS. Caudata.org will naturally once again have their free table/tables, a benefit of having 3 folks on the BAKS committee. :lol:

PPS Link to last years meeting details :- http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...rs-society-stafford-uk-august-5th-2012-a.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes! Certainly I'll be attending with the small handful of animals I have, and I imagine Ian and I will be hosting a caudata.org table again (of course I'm assuming Ian is going, please correct me if I'm wrong Ian!).

I can also provide transport for caudata members who can meet me in the Leeds area. I'll be driving down for the day and would be happy to take people with me. Just PM me for details.

Please come along! It was a good day last year and more than anything we got to meet other caudata members.

Brilliant stuff Jane! :cool: Be nice to see lots of caudates and caudate keepers there. :D

I just noticed though that I put the date of last years event in the title. Any chance a lovely kind mod could change it for me pretty please? ;)

Ade

I am aiming to attend too, but will be travelling up via train from Hatfield, Herts..or Watford if the lovely Eva/ Evut is going too.

Last edited:
I might attend depending on if I can swing the traveling! lol :)

Jane is correct , I will be hosting a table for Caudata.Org members free of charge, will have to restrict it on the axolotls though as I have a bunch growing especially for the event. If you have a axolotl morph I dont have an exception may be made, I have melanoid, albino, leucistic, wild type (possibly a couple of green ones as well) and hopefully some golden before the event. If you have a morph for sale that I haven't got bring it along and I will probably buy it off you as long as it is good repair. PM me with what you plan to bring and arrange your place at the best table at the meeting, I will be posting species availability nearer the time to allow pre booking . Loads of fun chatting to people face to face that you have only met online and have the ability to buy cb amphibians at much cheapness, support your fellow breeders and grab a bargain along with a great day out.

Cheapness? Didn't you give away quite a bit of your stock last time Ian? lol

The caudata corner did look rather fun, quite a group gathered up there. I can't promise there will be room for chairs though for you folks this time. lol

Ade

Re: British Amphibian Keepers Society - Cannock (UK) April 21st 2013

Cheapness? Didn't you give away quite a bit of your stock last time Ian? lol

The caudata corner did look rather fun, quite a group gathered up there. I can't promise there will be room for chairs though for you folks this time. lol

Ade

Doesnt get any cheaper than free lol and dont advertise the fact that I was giving away top quality axolotls free to people who I knew would look after them , dont want people getting the idea that free axolotls are a common occurrence at the caudata.org table at the next BAKs meeting. What will be available are superb axolotls at very affordable prices in a variety of morphs, I have a limited supply so I suggest that people get in touch with me and prebook to guarantee availability.

Re: British Amphibian Keepers Society - Cannock (UK) April 21st 2013

They were rather nice axolotls I have to say. If we still had the tank we used to use for axies I might have been tempted myself. ;)

We can guarantee one freebie at least though, that been another great prize from Arcadia for whoever wins our free member's prize draw! All you have to do to win is sign up and attend the meeting. :) Last year one of your folks won a nice Arcadia 60cm 24 watt T5HO vivarium canopy. ;) The more caudata.org folks who come, the more likely it is a 2nd caudata.org member will win. lol

I ended up giving lots of tubes of black and brown aquarium safe silicone last year too as raffle prizes. The Mrs reckons this year we'll be having a lucky dip draw instead, with prizes of tubes of aquarium silicone, wood wool and other items directly related to amphibian keeping.

Personally, I would love to see BAKS become the number one choice for caudata keepers and breeders.

Ade

IMPORTANT!

Please be aware that due to the owner of our original venue deciding to close the venue at the end of March, the venue and times have had to be changed for the April 21st meeting.

First of all, the meeting will now be held at:-

Longford Social Club
Wellington Drive
Cannock
Staffordshire
WS11 1PY

Not in Stafford.

Next up, we have had to change the doors opening time to 1:30pm. Table holders, we will let you know directly what time you can get in from.

We hope this doesn't cause anybody any inconvenience.

Thanks.

Ade

For anybody considering having a table or two, we've just published some more info about the venue here.

:cool:

Ade

I just wanted to say that the caudata.org table will actually be 3 or 4 tables, with plenty of seating nearby for you folks to sit and chat. So plenty of room for anybody that just wants to bring a few animals. You will still need a membership, and I should think that either Ian, Julia or Jane would appreciate a heads up that you'll be selling stuff from the caudata.org section. :D

Any budding artists among you are also more than welcome to try to sell some of your amphibian related works. ;)

Ade

Lots of tables to fill :D

So who would like to join us this year?

Too true! The room this year is at least double the size of our old one. ;)

Remember folks, we DON'T have table fees any more, just membership and a deposit refunded after the day if you use your table in a suitable manner. Even a hanfull of animals is what we consider a suitable manner, which means that you could happily have a table at a final cost of £5 to yourself, and this would give you membership to BAKS too. :cool: Or you could go for gold membership, and attend both of our meetings this year (AND have tables at both!) for £8. :wacko:

Seriously, no need to worry that all you will have is a few newts or a few axolotls or similar, you are still more than welcome to a table. A lot of hobbyists can't be as obsessed as some of us, and these people too may have some surplus young they want to pass on to other hobbyists. This is your opportunity to do so, without risking couriers or having people come to your home, AND meet other hobbyists for a chat etc.

Ade

There will be a wildlife photographer attending, who would like to take some photos of the animals.

Just a brief update. Chatting with one of the folks who will have tables we're informed that he will be selling a number of less commonly seen newts and salamanders at the meeting. Looking good for even more variety than the meeting we held last year, especially for caudate lovers. :cool:

Only 6 weeks left now folks. ;)

Ade

For those of you who use Facebook, we're running a competition on there at the moment for a chance to win a free GOLD membership to BAKS. This includes entrance to 2 meetings, so can't be bad!

British Amphibian Keepers Society | Facebook

Ade

Dammit, can't make it on that day!
I was hoping to bring some Theloderma and Mantella to sell...Oh well, next time....

Hope it's a good one!

C

Now there is a new and improved list to view :D Keep an eye on it as some breeders haven't added to the list yet.

B.A.K.S.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back