Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to culture silverfishes?

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Hello!
last week i ordered a few cultures but i don't really know what to feed the one with silverfishes so i was wondering if anyone have had them before/know the best food for them.
i don't know if this matter but they are not ''real'' silverfish but a relative which in swedish is called ugnssmyg (ugn = oven and smyg = sneak) i don't know what they really are called in english :(
cheers!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I think the oven sneak gives you a hint. They need to be very warm to culture. When I received a culture of silver fish and read the culture info I decided they need it to warm for me to culture in a cool salamander house. I used them all for food and moved on.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Michael is right, they are probably more trouble than they're worth. I too gave up on mine after keeping them on a heat mat for a few months with no real growth in numbers. I dread to think how much electricity was used to produce a handful of bugs.... We call them firebrats here.

They need to be kept at a constant 32 - 40+ C and the enclosure must be very dry. Feed them fish flakes.

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I had loads of these living in my bathroom light at my old house. Wish I'd have known what they were!

Sent from my YP-GI1 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhinigami

Reaction score
thanks for all the answers!
well the need for heat will probably not be a problem since we got a floor heating in the bathroom, i use to have my mealworm puppaes there, it doesnt get all to dry thought... so just normal fish flakes? well il keep you posted on how it goes :) !

FX1C

Reaction score
I only know how to kill them (bug spray)
not culture them >_<

These forums make me appreciate creepy crawlies so much more 0.0 everything is tasty to someone :D nom

<3 >o_o< <3

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Silver fish and fires brats both like it hot. Silverfish need conditions to be humid. You could try keeping them in a plastic container with with a few small holes in the top. On flattened paper towel tubes. With a damp paper towel folded in the corner for humidity. They like starch, Try fish flakes as food. The escape easily and they don't reproduce in great numbers. Not really worth the trouble. I tossed my culture a long time ago.

Zhinigami

Reaction score
well since they already are ordered i guess i can at least try them out and if not i just feed them to my newts, thanks again for all the help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!