Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Filter Flow - breaking up the flow - ideas

FX1C

Reaction score
I thought other people could post ways they break the flow of their filters -
Some use Plants / Rocks in some cool ways - post a pic here.

I've been setting up a few tanks lately & have just put my axolotls in a tank with a bare glass bottom, it's easy to see how the filter flow affects them when they're on glass. I noticed them being swept along the floor by the flow, 2 were not fans of being pushed by water & spent their time at the quiet area of the tank, 1 loved the flow & would swim towards it & wedge between a hide & wall to sit in the flow.

It was when I added the new hob filter to the quiet end that the 2 went straight into hiding & wouldn't venture out as much.

I'm running 2 filters on this tank as I'm trying to steal the bacteria from old filter-
1 filter is established from a tank with built in hood filter - the other is an AquaClear70 hob filter running on medium speed.

I recently saw lingkongczx add a shower scrub Pom Pom for her girl to lay eggs on & it gave me a light bulb moment!

These are brand new pompoms & I've used cheap suction cup with hooks (from the dollar shop)

I've attached them so that the filter output flows into the pompom & pushes them tightly against the suction hooks.
The displacement of flow was instantly noticeable & the tank now looks still. The axolotls can now walk everywhere without disturbance & even the fish (guppies for munching) are able to swim about & not face the flow swimming into it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360705174.061152.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360705210.876781.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360705256.477063.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360705276.762201.jpg

It's just temporary but is working well for the moment & once I have just the hob filter I'll see if it will still be needed. Plus it adds even more surface area for good bacteria to colonise :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Nemesea

Reaction score
I must say I love the idea, its made me think if one of them would be suitable for guppy fry to hide in,

FX1C

Reaction score
I must say I love the idea, its made me think if one of them would be suitable for guppy fry to hide in,

The guppy fry seem to enjoy hanging around it although will get washed out because the filter is flowing through - placing one on their own might work well for fry :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1