The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 14th February 2013   #1
Mykey93

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mykey93 has started on the right path
Default Photos of Bolitoglossines

Hey everyone,

I'm new on this board, but I've been studying Plethodontid salamanders for awhile now with an interest in the Bolitoglossines. I've done field work in Honduras and Ecuador on these salamanders and I thought I'd share some photos from my Ecuador trips. Unfortunately, I never seemed to have my camera around when we found a Bolitoglossa or Oedipina in Cusuco National Park, Honduras.

The first and third photos are of Bolitoglossa peruviana from San Jose de Payamino, Orellana, Ecuador and the second photo is of Bolitoglossa chica from Tinalandia, Pichincha, Ecuador.

I hope you enjoy!

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bperuvianaheadshot_Name.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	27972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolitoglossa_chica_TInalandia, Pichincha,Ecuador_Name.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	27973   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.peruviana121 copy_Name.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	27974  

Mykey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013   #2
Lamb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Photos of Bolitoglossines

Welcome, Mykey!

Those are great photos. In the second one, that individual looks like it might could mimic bird excrement. Have you read or heard anything about a possible mimicry system there? Or would that coloration better mimic the background of some other microhabitat inhabited by these guys?

About 3 years ago I traveled to Belize to study tropical ecology for 15 days We spent 3-4 days in the Cockscomb Jaguar Sanctuary, where we found a couple of bolitoglossines on the leaves of banana trees during our night hikes. I was much more engrossed by the frogs at the sanctuary, but now that I know more about plethodontids, I'd love to go back and search for bolitoglossines.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013   #3
Mykey93

Nationality:
Rep: Mykey93 has started on the right path

I have not read anything about the mimicry of bird excrements but these salamanders all have excellent camoflauge for their microhabitats. I had seen 3 individuals of the middle one, Bolitoglossa chica, and two looks similar to that individual, and another had a different morphology. It might be hard to see, but they all have wrinkled skin that looks very similar to bark. I will post more pictures later when I'm on my laptop.

Mykey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2013   #4
AaronK
(AaronK)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: AaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and information

Welcome. Great pictures.

AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote