Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops pyrrogaster strange action

salatriton

Reaction score
Hello guys.
my Cynops makes a strange action .. and as usual I terribly alarmed.
is located in a land-aquarium of 60 liters without filter.
I change the water every 15-20 days.
* is two days I see him two strange movements.
the Cynops arches his back, Leaning one then its cloaca in contact with the base of the aquarium, then doing two three steps.
after this he turns to the cloaca and strikes a little bite
this occurs for about an hour, however, not below, but in an hour ago this show a bit of times.
then back to his old life
I'll post a photo .. and I hope to do another picture during the performance.
I'm afraid I have some infection!
ps: did the suit twice in 2 weeks, it can serve

Attachments

• DSCN0204.jpg
    DSCN0204.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 514

evut

Reaction score
Could the newt be scratching its bottom? It would be great if you could post a photo.

I would definitely recommend some changes to the aquarium - plants and some sort of decorations would be good - it just looks incredibly boring for the newt. If there is no lighting then you probably can't have plants but Java fern and Anubias can live with very low light and don't need substrate. You could definitely add some rocks or some driftwood. The decorations will also be good because beneficial tank bacteria can live on the surfaces and help to keep the water quality good.
I'm not sure I understand correctly but if you change all water every couple of weeks, then you are always resetting the cycling process. A partial water change (25%) every week would be better. Have a look at articles about housing and water quality here.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if he is shedding, mine sometimes do a similar move to try and dislodge the skin. I agree with Eva that the tank could do with plants etc.

salatriton

Reaction score

Attachments

• DSCN0206.jpg
    DSCN0206.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCN0209.jpg
    DSCN0209.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 542

Vakuoli

Reaction score
How often he behaves like this?

He may be shedding his skin. Watch him closely when this behavior happens. If he is shedding his skin you will be able to see the skin when the newt pulls it off himself. Our newts eat the skin right after they shed it and the swallowing always takes a while.

I hope there is a harmless explanation and your pet is not sick.

salatriton

Reaction score
I put in a plant and rocks ... the Cynops has never done this unusual move.
Now the water is clear and she is more quiet

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1