Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha Rivularis

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a few pics of some new additions...

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 88,466
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 840
  • rivularis (1).JPG
    rivularis (1).JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 769
  • rivularis (3).JPG
    rivularis (3).JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 813

otolith

Reaction score
They look great! Any locality info on these guys?

otolith

Reaction score
They do! I am lucky enough to be from one of the 3 counties in which they live :)
Are yours currently going through the motions of breeding or have you been able to keep them aquatic? I have 4 little Rivularis morphs that have no desire to do anything near the water.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nice Dawn! Were you lucky enough to make the trip and collect them yourself or were they sent to you?

I've really enjoyed mine- I was scared that once they morphed (mine were collected and sent to me by a friend as eggs) that they would be very shy and do poorly. While they are still not the most outgoing species I've kept many hand feed and almost all are very eager and vigorous eaters! Like Perry's though they have turned into quite the land lubber's. But from the reading ive done on them that's what I was expecting.

How long have you had yours?

Heather

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got mine this week. They were collected by a friend. I am hoping they'll lay- they were primed in nature and are still mating.

otolith

Reaction score
Awesome! Make sure you have flat rocks the females can get underneath to lay. All the egg masses I've ever found in the wild have been on the undersides of rocks. Keep us updated! The larvae are amazingly hardy and easy to feed.

JReed

Reaction score
Great pics! I have T granulosas and T torosas but no T rivularis... I'm jealous!

Thanks for sharing.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am raising up a number of larvae that they laid. I hope to have a small colony. These eggs were laid bec they were wild-primed. Maybe I can get them to breed in captivity. The original wc ones are doing great!

jasper408

Reaction score
Lovely newts. Too bad these guys are native to California, or I'd have a colony of my own. :(

redtxn

Reaction score
a bit jealous that we don't have newts around here. Would like to see some in their natural habitat.

eMax

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman,

Congrats on the breeding! How are the young faring? I'd love to keep this species someday as it's one of my favorite American newts, but have never seen it for sale and was under the impression they could not be collected legally. Any idea how your friend was able to obtain a permit?

Cheers,
Eric

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The young are doing fine, all have been terrestrial for a couple of months now except for two refuse to morph and keep their gills and live in an aquatic tank still. The parents are being fridged in the hope that I can prime them to lay. I don't remember the details of my friend's collecting as it was many months ago now. I think there is a daily limit or something.

otolith

Reaction score
As far as CA regs go regarding collection: earlier this year T. rivularis (and several other herp species) were moved to a no-take list. Prior to 2013 the total possession limit was 4 and required a CA fishing license.

Glad to hear yours are doing well Dawn! I would love to see pictures of them and their enclosure if you have any. The breeding season is typically february-may, sometimes earlier if we get a warm winter. We've had a major cold spell here in Northern CA, it will be interesting to see how they respond to it come Spring.

sde

Reaction score
Yes, native to California, I wish they lived where I am, but there is T. Granulosa here so that is great too. Heh heh, it looks like in the first pic that is a male amplexing a male :blush: "Hey buddy! Get off me! :mad:.

:p-Seth

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Their set up is a 40 long with a water part along the back, long and thin instead of the way I usually divide my tanks, to simulate a river more than a pond, but right now they are in the fridge. I'll take pics later if I remember, I'm having company today,.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, as long as I'm up:

The soil is dry right now as the sals are not in there.

Attachments

• 001.jpgsn.jpg
    001.jpgsn.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 566

eMax

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing otterwoman! I hope we can see some photo updates as they get older.

Thanks for that updated information Perry! Any idea why this species was added to the no-take list this year?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1