Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is that?

olmrudyk

Reaction score
Hello,
It should be Bombina orientalis, but I newer saw Chinese fire belly toads looking like that.
I bought this large male(8,5g) in a local Tropical fish store, where it was offered along with 10-12 regular ones.
Anybody knows what it is?

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9,459
  • DSC_1012.jpg
    DSC_1012.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 625

tom

Reaction score
Hi There!
I also think that this is an unusual dark specimen of Bombina orientalis.
I think it resembles B. fortinuptialis a bit, but this species has bigger warts on the back and is VERY rarely available.
Greets
Tom

FrogEyes

Reaction score
All other Asian Bombina are considered part of the B.maxima complex, and tend to be included as subspecies or synonyms. There is also a very large distance between the typical collection sites of B.orientalis in northeastern China or Korea, and tropical or subtropical China and southeast Asia. I don't think there's any chance of this being any member of the B.maxima complex.

olmrudyk

Reaction score
All other Asian Bombina are considered part of the B.maxima complex, and tend to be included as subspecies or synonyms. There is also a very large distance between the typical collection sites of B.orientalis in northeastern China or Korea, and tropical or subtropical China and southeast Asia. I don't think there's any chance of this being any member of the B.maxima complex.

Hi there,
All of you were absolutelly right: this is just a little strange B. orientalis.
The male is vocalizing typically and often seen in amplexus with any of two my green females of B. orientalis. I‘m keeping, and sometimes breeding, the Oriental Fire Belly Toad for several years, but newer paid much attention for distribution of warts on their flanks.
When I noted this unusually dark belly, combined with irregular pattern of green on him, I've compared him to my other 5 FBT. All of them have warty flanks with no distinctive border between lover smooth areas and warty upper ones. Sure, it was not enough representative excerption to post my alarming question, - I’m sorry for that and thank all of you for you commentaries.
Alex

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!