Frog Gender!!

H

Helena

Hi! I have three fire bellied toads (Wink, frisky and spike) and I am going to try to plan to breed them sometime soon. But first, I need to figure out their genders. I know that it has something to do with toe webbing and other things, but I still wasn't quite sure if my judgement is right or not and I wanted to see the input from the more experienced people on this forum. I tried my best to get shots of their feet! Here are some pictures of my frogs! Please help identify their genders!!!

I have problems uploading pictures onto this forum, so please look at my frog pictures on this forum and reply back please!

Frog Gender!!

Too young to sex them , also you have to wait for adult i got a female here , because it doesnt croak and its belly is bigger and round, Female could be bigger and males could be smaller

but I have had my frogs for about 3 years! surely they are adults by now?

but I have had my frogs for about 3 years! surely they are adults by now?

Ever heard a croak? if none could be all females.oh and btw can you picture the butt part closely i can tell you by that

I have heard only two of them croak and those ones also got into amplexus

Hi Helena!
That surely sounds good! The males seem to have a rougher (or wartier?) skin and their toes/feet are larger. Females are smoother and they never try to get into amplexus. And they are bigger as far as I can see. They don't try to get rid of the males, when they initiate amplexus. Hope that helps!
Cheers
Tom

Yes thank you this helps a lot!

My female is quite large and she never tries to go into amplexus
so that must mean she is a female after all.

Guten tag and have a great day !

Helena!
Spika is a female, Frisky is a male. Wink is probably the man - in the photo can't see the back legs good.

They will not reproduce if the temperature and depth of water will not be suitable.

Reards, Eva.

Wink rocks. You couldn't have given him a better name. I also would guess that Spike is the only female, but it's hard if you only have pictures. I've bred a lot of them in the past and I hope I will do so again this year, though I've only kept one couple. I had two animals which looked just like females, but they croaked and went in amplexus all the same. Looks can be deceiving.

You don't have to doubt your setup. It's absolutely great. If you see amplexus and you're hearing the males croak, but there are no eggs to be found there could be a few problems though. Maybe the female isn't fertile or the temperatures don't fluctuate enough during the year. At the time you witness mating behaviour you can do a water change with cold water, because this can also do the trick with FBTs.

Judging the size of your tank with the help of your pictures I can also suggest that there's room for another female if you're up for it. Maybe a second female will give you more luck. I've also experienced that the location of your tank can matter. When I put my tank in a place where they could see more daylight I had better results, but that could be due to a coincidence or another factor of course.

Good luck with your toads, because next to all those rare and expensive animals I still think that FBTs are one of the most enjoyable species.

Thank you for everybody's help! I am wondering, if I was to breed them, what temperature would the water have to be exactly? My tank is actually a 10 GAL, I have heard that 3 FBT's in 10 GAL is pretty tight, so I'm not sure about adding another female. Do you think it would still be okay?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back