Notophthalmus tank duckweed free at last!

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Decided to get rid of all the duckweed in my N.v.louisianensis tank. Hope to do this in all my tanks, but I still have a few to go. Most tanks are duckweed free though. At first I didn't understand why people hated it, until I wanted to collect the first eggs since my tanks had duckweed. All the plants aren't planted in the substrate, because the female's still laying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkq67e66ts

I love duckweed. It helps keep my water clean and newt larvae love to cling to it and hunt for food during the first few weeks of life. You just have to scoop out some every week and toss it in the trash. The only bad thing is it can block out the light needed by you other plants if you don't keep removing it. No worse than having to do water changes which I do less of now that I have it in my tanks.

I've got a lot of tanks, so it makes my life a lot easier if I toss out the duckweed. The amount of plants in my tanks do the trick just as well. I've got different kinds of Eleodea, Hydrocotyle, mosses, ferns and Lysimachia. I hardly need to do any water changes because of a good balance. I'm using other floating plants though, like Pistia and 2 unknown species. If I had only a couple of tanks it wouldn't be a problem though.

Congratulations on your epic defeat of the duckweed hordes. As a survivor of such a battle, i know how bloody it can get.
I remember when i first introduced duckweed to my tanks, starting with just a couple of individual plants. After a few months i was scooping netfulls of it from my tanks every few weeks. Never again...

Haha Azhael, I still remember your signature saying "duckweed free since 20??". I didn't know the full meaning of being truly duckweed free back then. Now I've seen my share of battles and the war isn't won yet. I will keep on fighting with my net "String" which lights up when duckweed is near!

xDD Farewell my friend, may you be victorious in your holy quest.

It was since 2011. To be totally honest, there is a small population of duckweed in my N.kaiseri tank, but it´s the only remaining one and it barely increases at all. All other strongholds have been exterminated.

I just started this battle in three of my tanks yesterday. I am trying to replace it with riccia moss

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back