Baby newts!

fire_newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! Have my first batch of baby chinese fire belly newts are a swimmin' and a growin'! The bigger babies hatched about a month ago and are about 3/4''-1'' long. Just wondering if they are "up to snuff" with their growth rates. I'm feeding them baby brine shrimp. Also, what is my next food jump when the brine shrimp become too small?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 22,514
  • IMG_2800.JPG
    IMG_2800.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 8,525
  • IMG_2801.JPG
    IMG_2801.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,573
They look great! I have not raised Cynops but I have Lissotriton larvae (also tiny even at metamorphosis) and start them out with cyclops/daphnia/bbs and then move on to chopped blackworms. Yours definitely look like they could take chopped blackworms and will probably grow like weeds.

ooooh Lissotriton's! What a cool looking newt! It's a relief to know that they are a-ok in the growth area. I thought they looked like they were doing good, but I wasn't sure. I'll defiantly look into getting some black worms. Do you have any recommendations of where to purchase from? The town I live in doesn't have very many specialty shops and I usually end up buying live foods from the internet.

That growth rate sounds fine to me. They grow slower than axolotl larvae.

My next natural jump up is to bloodworm (midge larvae) and daphnia. Live bloodworm and daphnia in bags are usually small enough for the larvae.

Once they've got the taste for them you can move onto frozen bloodworm. By this point they'll be wanting to morph.

I cannot comment about chopped blackworms as we don't get them over here, but what I know of them they should be fine chopped up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back