Shedding Issues

Salalicious

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My tiger sal's been shedding recently & it seems he's having problems as he's developed sore wounds on both front arms & some toes. It looks like the actual skin's peeling off. He's also not eat in a week. Try feeding him but he refuses. Am really worried about him now as don't wanna lose him. Am unable to take him to a vet as the nearest exotic vet's quite far away & can't afford the bills.

Am thinking of bathing him in a solution but not sure what substance would be suitable as have heard/read malachite green is harmful to amphibians.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Whats your tank(substrate moisture, water source etc) and air temp like?

I use kitchen roll for their substrate as used to have quite a few problems, using peat & mud etc. They have a large water dish & always kept damp. The other tiger sal seems to be OK as he's still eating etc.

You could try a cocofiber substrate. Mud sounds wayy too wet, it should only be moist all the way through. Not damp and soaking wet to the point its mud. And peat will probably end up killing it due to pH issues(dont use spaghnum moss either). When you say kitchen roll, i assume you mean unbleached paper towels. That is fine, but provide hides. Whats the air temperature, when its too hot they tend to shed. A too high temperature could end up killing it. Good luck with your tiger :wacko:

Ty for your response.

He's still here, bless him! Gonna try feeding him later & see if he eats, fingers crossed!

Have read Mercurochrome helps with wounds etc but can't find it anywhere. What do you guys recommend?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back