Overly-exposed Red Eft?

brettawelch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a red eft and he is an active little guy, but the research I have done on them would suggest that they prefer being hidden and partially buried. However, he is generally found on top of his rock plateau. I assumed at first that he had just over-eaten and perhaps had some extra energy to burn. Should I be concerned or is he just sociable?

Thanks

Given the toxicity of red efts, they're not really all that shy. Nothing really eats them, so they don't need to hide much.

Hmm. I got a different impression from what I had read, but since he is doing well I will take your word for it! I am intent on moving him to a more aquatic tank soon so he can transform. Updates to come!

Thanks again, Mate!

Are you just saying that he stays out in the open, or are you saying that he's very active and moving around all the time? I agree with Kaysie that Notos are sometimes less-shy than other newts, but if he's moving all the time, that could indicate a problem. Does he seem to be avoiding the substrate? Is he thin?

I suppose I meant to say that he moves more than I had expected. It's not as though he seems uncomfortable but he will travel to one spot and relax for a few minutes and then move along to another. I figured he would spend most of his time hiding. He doesn't seem to be slender, although my only reference is the internet.

My red efts are always out. I give them a little spray and they bust right out of the leaf litter looking for food. I would consider them very fearless and active. Their bright red color says death to most predators. I have never even found one inside a turkey and they are always feeding on red back salamanders. Which seem to have a very weak toxin if any compared to a Noto.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back