The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 10th June 2013   #1
heshort

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: heshort is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need help identifying wild salamander eggs

Last year in the summer I found a few dug-out cavities (about one inch high) located on the side of a sandy stream bank in Lowville, Ontario. The sand was moist and inside the cavity there was a clutch of clear eggs stuck to the ceiling. I did not see a salamander around but I am guessing that is what they were. My guess is that they were Eastern Red-backed Salamander eggs, because they are known to lay eggs on the roof of cavities. However, I can only find research saying that they lay their eggs under dead logs/ leafs, not sandy banks beside streams!! If anyone has any insight on what these eggs could have been (unfortunately I do not have any pictures) it would be greatly appreciated :)

heshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013   #2
Travis
(Traxolotl)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information
Default Re: Need help identifying wild salamander eggs

Long list of salamanders that do that. Hard to tell you what an egg could be until it hatches.

Tags
eggs, ontario, salamander, wild