Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Need help identifying wild salamander eggs

heshort

Reaction score
Last year in the summer I found a few dug-out cavities (about one inch high) located on the side of a sandy stream bank in Lowville, Ontario. The sand was moist and inside the cavity there was a clutch of clear eggs stuck to the ceiling. I did not see a salamander around but I am guessing that is what they were. My guess is that they were Eastern Red-backed Salamander eggs, because they are known to lay eggs on the roof of cavities. However, I can only find research saying that they lay their eggs under dead logs/ leafs, not sandy banks beside streams!! If anyone has any insight on what these eggs could have been (unfortunately I do not have any pictures) it would be greatly appreciated :)

Traxolotl

Reaction score
Long list of salamanders that do that. Hard to tell you what an egg could be until it hatches.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!