Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How Much Would You Pay?

NikkiMI

Reaction score
If you wanted a copper axolotl, how much would you be willing to pay for a juvenile? :confused: I am interested in buying two, but don't want to make a foolish purchase by paying too much . Thank You for input! :happy:

Quentari

Reaction score
Well that depends on how much money I have in my bank and how healthy it looked. I'm already paying about $30 for each axolotl and for one from a breeder or a fancy colour I'd be willing to pay more :) but some people are more broke than me lol

NikkiMI

Reaction score
More than $75 for two juveniles does seem like a bad deal. But the question is, where could I find 2 coppers for less? They seem hard to find :(

Theoneandonly

Reaction score
Rarity and demand will both play into pricing, beings they are hard to find, expect to pay more. Good luck in your search.

Neil C

Reaction score
I personally think up to about $100 for a nice healthy axolotl really isn't that much considering how much enjoyment you'll get from it and how long they live. Once purchased they are relatively cheap to maintain and if you ever decide to breed them you can usually recoup the purchase price very easily.

Regards Neil

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Rare axolotls are worth the money as long as you get them from a reputable breeder. I think the most I ever paid for an axolotl was a little over 100.00.

NikkiMI

Reaction score
Wow. I think I would only pay that much for a "silver dalmatian" (or at least that's what I call it,lol) and chimera. Both are so beautiful to me! :love: I think the only way I'd ever get one of those would be through random luck breeding my own. Otherwise they prolly cost an arm and a leg :eek:,lol.

FX1C

Reaction score
I have 2 Silver Dalmatians (so I'm told)
& they were both free :eek:
I also have coppers & know where there are lovely copper babies going for no more than any other colour ($15).
It's a shame I'm in Australia :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

NikkiMI

Reaction score
Nikki71 - :eek: You are killing me!!!! :kill: I guess us Nikki's have good taste, because you have everything I want, and freaking majestic silver dalmatians for FREE?? I need to buy a ticket to Australia and smuggle some axies back with me :D:rolleyes: Lucky you! :happy: I wish I could find a silver dalmatian here :( They are so stinking awesome to me. I never hear people talk about them, so they're either really hard to find, or underrated I guess :confused:. Well, take good care of your babies :p

FX1C

Reaction score
lol my first lotl came home as an egg on a plant bought for a Betta in the only tank I owned-no filter just an air stone....

I laughingly say this is the first hobby that chose me :D now I have 9 tanks
(3 are tropical fish & 6 are lotl tanks!!)
but I wouldn't change it for another hobby. ;)

Here's the free egg that turned
into a Splat :D my original lotl

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371262383.431698.jpg

<3 >o_o< <3

K3teach

Reaction score
I just got my first axie from a caudata member and she was very reasonable, the axie was very healthy and ready to eat when he got here. If you're in the US and you want one, you might contact wanttoknow and see if she has the color you're looking for. She's very reasonable on her prices and great to work with.

Mortimer

Reaction score
I have 2 Silver Dalmatians (so I'm told)
& they were both free :eek:
I also have coppers & know where there are lovely copper babies going for no more than any other colour ($15).
It's a shame I'm in Australia :eek:

<3 >o_o< <3

Hey Nikki! What is a silver dalmation? (I can imagine...but this is the first I'm hearing about this morph (?))...

NikkiMI

Reaction score
If you look at the US wanted ads you'll see a post I made which includes a pic. However, upon further online investigation last night, it appears its also referred to as a spotted light melanoid :ha:. I have a theory that what is being called "silver dalmatian" is actually just a very light colored melanoid with distinct spots :shocked: :eek: After finding that out I was going to remove my wanted ad, but I can't seem to figure out how,lol.

FX1C

Reaction score
Hey Nikki! What is a silver dalmation? (I can imagine...but this is the first I'm hearing about this morph (?))...

I put a pic up of my Splat to show the colouring - a couple of people have mentioned that Splats colour is called a silver Dalmation.

I agree they are just light coloured melanoids but they are very grey with darker grey spots & can have the burgundy or dark gills.

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1