Illness/Sickness: Axolotl head touching the water service, floating?

kapooey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kapooey
I just notice this yesterday after I fed Hikari and Yami. Hikari's head is touching the water service and I can see that the top of its head is exposed to the air. I am not sure that Hikari is sick or what.

I fed them with frozen blood worms because Yami is extremely picky. I put them in a 0.75 gallon tank because they are small. I changed the water once in two days, 100% water change. (the seller told me that she change the water 100% since they were hatched)

Attachments

• IMAG0867.jpg
    IMAG0867.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 461
  • IMAG0856.jpg
    IMAG0856.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 471
  • IMAG0849.jpg
    IMAG0849.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 354
Does he look like he struggles to get to the bottom?

I have one who often sits on top of floating plants with his head and sometimes nostrils out.
He doesn't struggle to get down and seems to like it up there so i don't worry.

Mel

I am not sure is he having a hard time to sink to the bottom and doesn't look like he is struggling. But I do notice that he never stays bottom. I am not sure since I work 9 hours a day and 6 days a week=[

Put something in for him to hide under see if he stays under or prefers the top.

Or put him in something deeper, you should be able to see then if its him being 'normal' or if its possibly something making him float.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back