Dart frog breeding huts DIY

twistedfisher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Steffen
So im kinda a hands on kind of keeper and dont really care for the looks of a coco hut/petri dish set up for breeding my frogs.

Approaching the same requirements ina naturalistic way was my intentions when i designed and built these breeding huts for my PDF

These are the materials you will need;
Red Solo cup
Small zip ties
Plastic mesh canvas
Covering of some sort
003-5_zps3a5a4ca8.jpg

Gather your materials and get set for about 15 mins to build your froggies a little house

Next is to cut your cup down to about 1/4" and try to keep the edge smooth as possible so your little froggies wont get hurt!

004-5_zpsa709d7f2.jpg

i do this by cutting a strip as wide as the bottom of what ever i am using for the collection cup. In this case it is a red Solo cup

005-4_zpsfbc3436d.jpg

Next is the tricky part in cutting your length for the canvas strip

I prefer to go about 6 holes more then the distance around the cup. This gives me plenty of lifting room and i can still get a little conical shape to it

Then i hook a zip tie through the corners on one side and 3 holes back on the other. Depending how large your vessel is you may have to add a center zip tie to keep the canvas closed

006-6_zps038dc364.jpg

We gotta have a little door for the frogs to get in and out so i remove a 1" square to make a door way into the interior of the cylinder, making sure to smooth the edges

007-3_zps1878df25.jpg

Now we gotta install a roof!
I prefer to just cut the excess from a flat piece of canvas but you can go out and purchase round pieces of plastic canvas if you so choose to make a perfect hut

009-5_zps188762b3.jpg

So now that we have our frame work of the house done you can see how it sits over the bottom of the cup.

008-4_zps4786b7e9.jpg

Next step is to make it a nice secure house by covering it with a living covering of java moss!

011-3_zpsf4b8c36c.jpg

And after some careful wrapping and tucking your froggies have a nice new breeding site to lay you eggs in!

015-1_zps267539c1.jpg

Hope this has inspired you to go out and make something a bit more natural then a simple coconut shell in your terrarium

Very nice! I've always used cocohuts and petri-dishes but this looks like it works just as well. My tincs are rather large so i dont know if they can appreciate the smaller bottom of the solo cups, but it should apply for just about any other options.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Forgive me... Are you attempting to keep dart frogs aquatically? Or is this a method to encourage the java moss to take hold and then be transferred to an appropriate enclosure?

JBear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back