Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Transport Methods

springee

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It is once again I turn to the more experienced for help regarding my lotl!

In about 2 weeks I have to take a 4 hour drive to my house for the rest of the summer, and need to take my axolotl with me. I have only transported him once before from my house to my college apartment, when he was probably only about a month or so old, and he very nearly died because of the stress. He's now almost a year old, and seems to be much hardier than when he was younger, but the thought of traveling with him scares me still!!!! I was wondering what was the best method to transport him for this trip??? I have a large igloo cooler that I can use to keep the temperatures down to minimize stress, but I haven't figured out what I should put him in for the 4 hour trip to keep the water from sloshing.

Any help in the matter is greatly appreciated!!!

Evan

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Hey there, we have moved a few times with our axolotls and have had no issues with it. I think that it would be much more stressful on a very young juvie as you mentioned. We have never transported our axies in the summer but I think the cooler is a great idea. Purchase something like a critter keeper if you can. This way you will always have a transport/emergency container for your little one on hand. Make sure the water is cool and clean , and put the critter keeper in the cooler. These come with lids so you can be sure he won't come splashing out. I would pack some ice under the critter keeper as well for good measure. Bring a thermometer with you and maybe periodically check the water temperate during the drive. Hope this helped!,

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Skip the critter-keeper and get a big tupperware or a small rubbermaid. It's way cheaper, and less apt to break.

As for transport, get a tupperware, put him in, put the lid on, try not to hit anything. Set up the tank first thing and set him floating so he can acclimate. I've driven my critters all over the country with no ill effects.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I'm transporting my axolotl next month. The plan is to get a large round tupperware to put him in. If he gets thrown around a little on the motorway he won't have any hard edges to bash into. I'm going to balance his tupperware on wet towels in a box or bucket to keep him cool and hopefully give a bit of extra padding. It's good you asked, better to think and plan ahead!
:D

mewsie

Reaction score
Skip the critter-keeper and get a big tupperware or a small rubbermaid. It's way cheaper, and less apt to break.

As for transport, get a tupperware, put him in, put the lid on, try not to hit anything. Set up the tank first thing and set him floating so he can acclimate. I've driven my critters all over the country with no ill effects.

This is my plan for moving at the weekend... particularly the not hitting things part. Or people. Not that I'm stressed or anything, you understand.

Out of interest Kaysie, what size tupperware tubs did you move yours in? (What do you consider 'big' tupperware?)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I use the 'entree size' gladware tubs, for those folks state-side. They hold about 2l of liquid, and are about a foot long.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I used to use buckets, but I can pack small containers much more easily than I can large buckets. I did use buckets for my sirens, and to hold all my tank decorations and filter media.

Morrison

Reaction score
My brother also buys a lot of this whey protein stuff in large amounts...
cnp-whey-protein-powder-4.5kg-5412-p.jpg

Those plastic things are awesome for lotl transportation or during tank clean ups :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1