Question: Can I feed Axolotls Brine Shrimps raised in water containing table salt?

DomDaw

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Basically what I need to know is, will the iodine harm the axolotls and would iodine harm freshly born axolotls?

It's kindof important. I'm raising brine shrimp in a bottle filled with aquarium salt however I need to move them before I start to feed them so they can grow. The salt I won't to use doesn't actually say it contains Iodine but I just want to be sure.

I don't want to know that "brine shrimps cannot be raised in iodised water". Previous research shows that they thrive due to Iodine just want to see if thats true.

It is best to use salt that doesn't contain iodine. Iodine is not good for axolotls, and can encourage axolotls to morph. You can buy non iodized table salt. It should state on the label clearly that the salt does not contain iodine.

Thanks for the info. The salt I want to use does not state that it contains iodine. The contents are "salt and anti-caking agent" no iodine specified.

Is that okay? Aquarium salt is extremely expensive in New Zealand. I don't want to go paying 36-56 dollars for 6.5 kilos.

I can possibly get my hands on sea salt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back