The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 7th August 2013   #1
DomDaw

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DomDaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Can I feed Axolotls Brine Shrimps raised in water containing table salt?

Basically what I need to know is, will the iodine harm the axolotls and would iodine harm freshly born axolotls?

It's kindof important. I'm raising brine shrimp in a bottle filled with aquarium salt however I need to move them before I start to feed them so they can grow. The salt I won't to use doesn't actually say it contains Iodine but I just want to be sure.

I don't want to know that "brine shrimps cannot be raised in iodised water". Previous research shows that they thrive due to Iodine just want to see if thats true.

DomDaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013   #2
maghan6

Nationality:
Rep: maghan6 has started on the right path
Default Re: Can I feed Axolotls Brine Shrimps raised in water containing table salt?

It is best to use salt that doesn't contain iodine. Iodine is not good for axolotls, and can encourage axolotls to morph. You can buy non iodized table salt. It should state on the label clearly that the salt does not contain iodine.

maghan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013   #3
pookiewn

Nationality:
Rep: pookiewn has shown reliable knowledgepookiewn has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Can I feed Axolotls Brine Shrimps raised in water containing table salt?

Have a read of this, it will answer your questions. It really isn't a good idea to use ionised salt, normal sea salt is fine. Caudata Culture Articles - Microfoods

pookiewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2013   #4
DomDaw

Nationality:
Rep: DomDaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. The salt I want to use does not state that it contains iodine. The contents are "salt and anti-caking agent" no iodine specified.

Is that okay? Aquarium salt is extremely expensive in New Zealand. I don't want to go paying 36-56 dollars for 6.5 kilos.

I can possibly get my hands on sea salt.

DomDaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotls, brine shrimp, eggs, hatching, iodine, salt