Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ACF (X. laevis) eggs/tads

Reaction score
After probably the worst 3 days my frogs have ever given me, in which the male was amplexing the female (and my filter intake) every chance he got, and once she would get away she would splash loudly across the surface of the tank as the male chased her, singing at the top of his lungs.... I had eggs... lots of eggs.

(sorry for some of the photos, my camera died, and the battery charger was missing, so I had to use my phone)

these were laid on the 12th between 5pm and 7:30 pm. I removed them to a 5 gallon bucket of dechlorinated tap water.

Earlier today, I added an airstone (at the recommendation of a breeder), and checked them in the afternoon around 3 pm, and some of the eggs look like little white C's.

12:30 am, I check the eggs again, and I have slightly bigger C's, they kind of remind me of tapeworms... blech. It's a little bit creepier when they flip around.

There's a pair with some weird looking "fuzz" them.

The current temp in the bucket is 74 degrees, but that feels really cold to me.... I don't dare raise it though, because so far, this is the only incubating temperature I've seen written down.

I thought I'd share this, and maybe some advice from more experienced tadpole "farmers" might be able to help. We're planning on keeping some, a few friends want one or two, and then another friend is willing to take whatever's left, providing there's enough of them that make it.

xxianxx

Reaction score
They hatch surprisingly fast but dont look fully developed, more like thin maggots than a tadpole initially, they hang about doing nothing for a few days and continue to develop. You dont need to do anything with them till they start free swimming. You can feed them green water, liquidized spinach or commercial tadpole powder. Give them some light aeration to keep their food suspended and oxygenate the water. With a low stocking density and regular feeding they should start morphing within twelve weeks or so. If you keep the temp at 78f (26c) they morph fast BUT this temp has a higher impact on water quality which is a tadpole killer. I raise all mine at room temp 70f-76f (21-24c).

Reaction score
8/13/13 2 pm:

11:30 pm
I removed most of the eggs that were fuzzy and dead, and found the cutest little swarm ever as I removed the plants. I need to figure out how to get the yuck off of the bottom.
I was planning on feeding powdered egg yolk and spirulina mixed with powdered xenopus pellets and reptomin frog pellets.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Broken up pellets/egg yolk mess the water quality up and you're creating more work for your self. Try liquidized spinach with some spirulina powder, it reduces the water change requirements.

Gma

Reaction score
I need to figure out how to get the yuck off of the bottom.
I've found that the easiest way to clean the bottom of the container without disturbing the tadpoles is to siphon it using an airline tube and keep your finger near the end so that you can block it if any tadpoles get too close.

How are they doing now?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Dont believe it !!!! Death by syphon is very common for acf tads and froglets, they are ok when they are little as they just go for a ride down the syphon but when they are bigger they can be torn apart. Add some nylon as a filter (from a pair of tights) over the syphon intake, just make sure you release the smaller tads when they get stuck to it.

Reaction score
one month, two days old:

I seem to have babies of 3 different colors. The bottom is clearly albino, the one just above it, definitely brown, but the one off to the right a bit is too brown to be albino, and too close to albino to say "brown". I'm going to guess it'll be a light brown or a "golden albino" at this point, since I really have no clue.

Also, the albino and the "gold" are the only ones sporting arms as of the moment, and the albino's whiskers have shrunk.

Reaction score
I had something fall in the tub and pulled a 100% change too quickly, I went from 95, to 22. then the other day I noticed one dead, so we're sitting at 21, and 2 with shrinking heads!

This is my favorite of the babies, it's the same true albino in the photo above, but with a less of a melon head now. Its eyes are still 2 sizes and show no signs of sorting themselves out.

Reaction score
I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I am very curious to see how the little ones are doing.

Everyone has been rehomed except for one. My son decided to claim her when we realized that "she" has a jaw and eye deformity, but she gets along well, and has a VERY healthy appetite! (photo attached)

Attachments

• Sparkles.jpg
    Sparkles.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,044
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1