Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: PLEASE HELP! Axolotl having problem laying eggs

Shikicat

Reaction score
I don't know what to do and if this happened last time she laid eggs, but this looks really bad!! She is a year and a half and this is her second time laying eggs (first time was about 1.5 months ago). What is that protruding from her???

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,867
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 827
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 954
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 648

jmsstoner

Reaction score
That certainly doesn't look normal. Is there a vet in your area that knows how to care for amphibians? If so, you may want to give them a call. Hopefully she'll be alright.

Quentari

Reaction score
that almost looks like a prolapsed cloaca... I hope not though. I'd get her to a vet asap

Shikicat

Reaction score
that almost looks like a prolapsed cloaca... I hope not though. I'd get her to a vet asap

I think you're right :( I looked it up and it looks like what she has. I can take her tomorrow. I don't think there is anywhere I can take her now...

Shikicat

Reaction score
Hi all, just as an update: it appears almost all of it is back in her body now!!! YAY!!!! Maybe she will be ok. Does anyone know if I should treat her with antibiotics?

Quentari

Reaction score
No antibiotics, just keep a close eye on her as it may happen again. If it does take her straight to a vet, use your time now to find one that can do surgeries on axies. I think the general thing is to put in a stitch to stop anything falling out again? sometimes prolapses do go back on their own, I'm glad to hear she's okay!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1