The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 17th August 2013   #1
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information
Default Axie? Are you dead?

Do you sometimes take a look at your axie and think he/she is dead? So that you keep staring at your lotl and wait for a 'gill wiggle' to know that everything is OK?

They sometimes scare the hell out of me.

Old 17th August 2013   #2
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Axie? Are you dead?

I figured floating upside down with little cartoon 'X's in their eyes was a good bet....

auntiejude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013   #3
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

Oh something like this, and still smiling:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadlotl.jpg
Views:	2227
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	32544  

Old 18th August 2013   #4
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information

Please read signature

Old 22nd August 2013   #5
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Another thing: "XOTL! Where are you?" And I can't find him anywhere. Then I see him in the smallest hide.

Old 22nd August 2013   #6
Travis
(Traxolotl)

Nationality:
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information

When I'm doing anything to my tanks I stick my adults in a solid black bucket. And I always have a mini heart attack when my wildtype blends in so perfectly I can't see her and start feeling all around in the bucket for her. xD

Old 22nd August 2013   #7
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information

Click the image to open in full size. this is probably my scariest moment. I took a few pictures because i thought it was funny and then i realised he looked stiff(i touched him and he even felt stiff) and i started to freak out a bit and started to try to get him unstuck and that is when he started to move.
I think echo is the only one that plays dead.. On a regular basis. The other ones normally are always flicking gills, moving at least a tiny bit once and a while but I dont know.. Its like echo dies temporarely.

Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013   #8
Sylerwin

Nationality:
Rep: Sylerwin has shown reliable knowledge

When my axies were juveniles they would "sleep" floating in the water. I woke up one morning to find both axies floating motionless in the tank. Even a few pokes didn't do anything at first.

Old 22nd August 2013   #9
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

One of my leucistics gets pretty pale when inactive. It's a bit too pale. It's "you look so dead right now" pale and she doesn't flick her gills often so I'm having about 3 heart attacks a day.

It's a conspiracy.

Old 23rd August 2013   #10
CJ
(CJ1981)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have heartstopping moments at least once a day, I've even had my boyfriend ring me when I've been in work, in a panic as one of the 'kids' looks dead; cue mass panic among my colleagues as he actually said 'can you get Charis to ring me at home please I think one of the kids has died', message frantically passed on by a traumatised colleague, I'm all blase saying' tell him to just poke it to see if it wiggles, if that doesn't work try wafting a waxworm under her nose'. Horrified looks from colleagues all of whom I have worked with for 10 years, I had to remind them I have no human children, all of my kids being either furry or slimey. I think I was about 10 mins away from being arrested for child neglect

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions
CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013   #11
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Last night Banana was 'sleeping' in her plant. Upside down. I almost died!

Old 25th September 2013   #12
Alyce

Nationality:
Rep: Alyce has started on the right path

So glad others have these moments. I've got to stop poking them if I ever want them to not hate my hand.

Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013   #13
MochiGuu

Nationality:
Rep: MochiGuu has started on the right path

During my last visit to my mom in Holland I bought 2 axolotls to take back to Israel with me. Kept them in my room, but slept on the couch because it was more comfy. So one morning my mom gently wakes me, saying "I have something very sad to tell you. One of your axolotls died."
I'm wide awake but a gut feeling has me stay calm and wait with the grief until it's legit. I come into my room, take a look at the little tank, and I see one of the axolotls' backside peeking out from underneath the filter. The other one was clearly alive. But the one under the filter was sitting on its belly like it's supposed to. So I poked it a few times, nothing happened. My mom sadly tells me this is the dead one. I'm like "riiiight", gently tug at his tail, and send him speeding through the tank

MochiGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013   #14
Layna
(layna)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information

Just last week i came home from work and my mum goes "layna i think one of your axies has broken its leg and died"
So im all like "what, what do you mean" *walks up to the tanks to investigate*
Brain is sat against the side of the tank, very pale with his back leg twisted up against the side of the tank, im like "nahh hes just sleeping it fine" as if to prove the point he proceeds to put his leg down and swim off to the corner where he sits and looks at me for food.
Hehe, my mum was like "god hes been like that al day and ive been worried sick thinking about how to tell you" Bless her!

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013   #15
Nex Socius
(NexSocius)

Nationality:
Rep: NexSocius has shown reliable knowledge

I read this thread a few days ago, and had a good chuckle over some of the replies.
Yesturday I brought Chernobyl home and he had a great day exploring his tank. All good there.
This morning I fed him, told him to be a good boy, and took off for work.
When I got home, I looked in his tank; no Chernobyl. Panicky, I looked on the surface, no Chernobyl. Finally I found him hanging out on a plant being all cool.
Later on, I looked back in the tank, and this time he really was floating, just under the surface in a C shape. I almost freaked out. Left the room for a minute, and he was back in his corner waiting for food!
I think this was payback for scaring him this morning, so much that he nearly flew out of his tank. Poor baby.

NexSocius is offline   Reply With Quote