The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 19th August 2013   #1
Jelle

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brine shrimps

Hello,

I feed my axolotl (+/- 2 months old, 7 cm) live bloodworms and daphnia's. My local pet shop also has live brine shrimps of which I've read they provide good food for axolotl's too. I would like to try it out but I don't really know how, as they come in bags with brackish water and probably won't survive in fresh water. They look quite cool so when my axolotl does not eat them immediately they make some nice small tank inhabitants (I enjoy looking at the daphnia too as they swim around ) Also, aren't they too salty for axolotl's to be healthy? Any thoughts on this?

Jelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013   #2
Layna
(layna)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: layna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and informationlayna has given good advice and information
Default Re: Brine shrimps

Hey, the brine shrimp will survive in the tank water for a couple of hours give or take.
You have to sort of suck them up with as little salt water as possible, then rinse them in some freshwater (a cup of tank water) then pop them in with your lottles

If you like my advice, please add to my reputation so others know im helpful
layna is offline   Reply With Quote