Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank And Axies!

georgiee2908

Reaction score
Hi there!:proud:
I've Just Joined the forum after using it as a source of research for the last few months before getting my 2 axies.
I bought them last night and came home and put them in their new tank at about 9 o clock.
I stayed up till 3 watching them....! :eek:
I am aware that I have a bright light in the tank; I only turn it on when taking photos or watching them eat, it doesn't seem to bother them at all!
I don't leave it on for long may I stress.
I also have a fan blowing air over the tank and an airstone which i havent yet installed because it disturbes the water and makes a current which I dont want to do...I have bought and air stone and pump and installed it and tied the line but it just ends up stopping the bubbles all together!:confused:
This Is my first post and I am hoping that the pictures will upload :eek:
I would like your opinion on them because I've been worried all night that they might be stressed or upset from their new home not having correct features? Can you see any signs of stress? They've been going up for air fairly often but I've read that it is just normal for a axie of their age (about 4 months)
I really appreciate any response so thank you so much!

30011-about-half-2-morning-i-couldnt-stop-watching-them
30012-i-woke-up-morning-i-had-friend-greet-me-d
30013-took-snap-soon-i-woke-up
30008-my-tank-set-up-sand-substrate-live-plants-bogwood-air-stone-filter-light-fan-i-am-aware-light-too-bright-i-only-switch-take-photos-watch-them-eat-doesnt-seem-bother-them-all-i-dont-leave-long-periods-time
30009-my-2-new-friends
30010-their-night-arrival-i-took-many-pictures-i-could

auntiejude

Reaction score
Welcome!
Your pictures don't open - you have to use 'manage attachments' below the text box for best results.

Axies don't seem to mind a little bit of flow in the water, and a little bit of movement is essential. I have a curtain bubbler attached to my air pump, giving a line of bubbles rather than a column, which my axies love - see pic below.

As far as your set up goes as long as you have a large tank, hides, sand or stones or bare bottom (not gravel) and a filter you can't go too far wrong. If you do your research before you buy an axie - which you seem to have done - you get happy healthy axies and fascinated owners!

Attachments

• pinky bubbles.jpg
    pinky bubbles.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 392

georgiee2908

Reaction score
Oh i see! Silly Me :eek:
Here are some attachments, I'm concerned about their gills being slightly forward?
Their Bodies are fine and behavior seems normal too...
Ill attach Pictures:happy:
How can i make my axies gills set backwards? I've been really worried :(

Attachments

• IMG_2650.jpg
    IMG_2650.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,133
  • IMG_2612.jpg
    IMG_2612.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 263

narny101

Reaction score
don't worry too much about the stress, after all they are still getting used to living in a new environment, some will not be comfortable for a while, it depends on how well they adapt to the new tank, just give them a little while and they should calm down ;)

have with your new little mates,

P.S your setup looks wonderful

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1