Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some herping trip photos

onetwentysix

Reaction score
I haven't been around here much lately, but I've still been getting out, and thought people might appreciate some of the animals I've seen.

Earlier this year, I got to go with some friends on an overnight herping trip, and found these animals:

UaYme17.jpg

Slimy salamander, Plethodon glutinosis complex

tgIwIOo.jpg

Baby slimy, really cute little guys!

eHxFbgm.jpg

I always love finding box turtles.

jTjGlLi.jpg

uQHAp1R.jpg

FxFKhGs.jpg

Br5HiFn.jpg

I believe the top three would be a northern red salamander, Pseudotriton r. ruber, but then we also found the bottom animal, which my best guess is that it's a southern red salamander, Pseudotriton r. vioscai. Could be intergrades, but the site was right at the border between the two subspecies.

7RHBadQ.jpg

Broadhead skink

MiDBwr2.jpg

LSX3lhO.jpg

hpwVEAm.jpg

Cottonmouth! We found five, it was a blast!

8LqXAUX.jpg

Time to play, "Spot the venomous snake that could kill you!" Most of the group had gone past, actively searching for snakes, but I still spotted this cottonmouth in the brambles. You might be able to JUST make out a scale pattern roughly in the middle (but probably can't). It wasn't much easier in person!

JbGijNA.jpg

G7gOP06.jpg

Snake after removal from brambles. She was HUGE, biggest cottonmouth I'd ever seen (which admittedly, wasn't many; I doubled my life-count on that trip).

NxiEbBh.jpg

tmducmN.jpg

G4HZbnt.jpg

Cottonmouth we found while checking our minnow traps (they were all empty). Scared the **** out of my friend; he's terrified of snakes but still comes with us. He was in the water about two feet away from the snake before he spotted him.

5sEfRda.jpg

Ringneck snake

8VXUik9.jpg

O1uGAiW.jpg

Eastern fence lizard

1iAUWhr.jpg

Underside of a male fence lizard, they have really neat coloration.

yFEx9QL.jpg

Pair of South-eastern five lined skinks

osRalR1.jpg

Mites on one of the skinks

8WdkWEH.jpg

Tiny turtle!

vuqWxLR.jpg

Larger turtle!

cel0MUv.jpg

Ribbon snake

ewqYfwx.jpg

Little ground skink, one of my favorite lizards.

vFs81hz.jpg

On another group trip with a guest herpetologist we found this really pretty Eurycea. I was thinking it was wilderae, since we were just on the border of their range and it was so much more attractive than other cirrigera I've found.

a0w48.jpg

We also found this green salamander, which was great because he'd always wanted to see some but never had.

6jAC21Q.jpg

Another trip, and my friend found this nice G. porphyriticus.

Ldlmot6.jpg

Eurycea eggs, I believe?

i6z0Lcb.jpg

And then these would be Desmogs?

UStuQSD.jpg

And then I found this guy. It's always great to find hellbenders, and it made wading in 40 degree water on a 50 degree day totally worth it.

7iYg5I0.jpg

Anyhow, thanks for looking!

emmyk

Reaction score
What a successful trip! Goodness! Where were you?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

onetwentysix

Reaction score
It was a couple trips all posted at once; three, I think. All of them were either in SC or NC. It's a lot of fun; I'm going on another trip this weekend, so I'll post some photos from that, if my camera works (I busted it on the last bendering trip . . . still worth it!)

stanleyc

Reaction score
Great finds, this was all over the course of 2 days? and Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Jefferson

Reaction score
Great finds; getting out in Appalachia and the South is always riveting. One thing; though. I think your wilderae is actually a Long-tailed. If you weren't in Long-tailed range, that was one unusual Two-Liner. Great finds; especially the reds and springs!

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Great finds, this was all over the course of 2 days? and Red Hot Chili Peppers?

It was two day trips and an overnight trip, so four days. A friend runs these seminars at the local university, where she invites some biologist to give a speech at the school and then the next day a group of us go out on a field trip with the speaker. It's always a really good time. I kinda cheated on the Aneides photo, though; that exact picture was from a separate trip when I was alone, but we found one that trip anyhow - I just didn't get a photo then since it was too far back in the crevasse.

That first batch of eggs really look like P. ruber eggs to me. Awesome finds.

You're right, they do after looking them up, though they also look like Eurycea; I have no idea how to tell them apart and I never thought to consider that they might be Pseudotriton. The stream presumably had ruber, though we've never found any there.

Great finds; getting out in Appalachia and the South is always riveting. One thing; though. I think your wilderae is actually a Long-tailed. If you weren't in Long-tailed range, that was one unusual Two-Liner. Great finds; especially the reds and springs!

Definitely not a long-tailed; we were a long ways from their range and either myself, my friend, or the speaker would have been able to ID a longicauda. Really pretty, though; kinda makes me want to go collect a few and trying to get them to breed, but they'll be better off in their stream.

Reaction score
I agree that the Eurycea is E. wilderae. I've never seen a Eurycea longicauda with unbroken lines down the side like that, neither in the nominate subspecies nor E. l. melanopleura.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!