Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snail in axolotl tank? Need ammonia source.

Sylerwin

Reaction score
I just re-vamped my axolotl tank today. The only stuff I had was old filter media which was floating in a bucket of old tank water for a few days. I need a source of ammonia to get my cycle kick started, so I thought about getting a large snail (one big enough that won't fit in their mouths)... Maybe a large apple snail? I'm not sure how snails and axolotls are together in the same tank, which is why I'm asking here. I could put a few live plants in there, but I'm concerned about "pest" snails, which are currently invading my planted tanks, which I wanted to avoid in this tank. I also have a bottled "bacteria supplement" I could toss in the tank... Ideas? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 40 gal redo.jpg
    40 gal redo.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 43,682

auntiejude

Reaction score
You could kick start your cycle any number of ways - get some cheap feeder fish (guppies) and stick them in the tank, your axie can snack on them later, use a few bloodworms (I used a frozen cube to start my guppy tank), or just dump some axie poop in there!

But it can be done with your axie in there - it just takes lots of water changes.

The bacteria starter is great - I use a pearl-type that you just stick a few pearls in the filter to 'seed' bacteria in there.

Snails either have to be nice and small with soft shells so that an axie can eat it, or large enough not to be seen as food. Trapdoor-type snails are generally not recommended. Any hitchikers that end up in my tank when I add plants don't last long, and I find empty shells a few days later. You could always quarantine a plant on it's own before putting it in the tank to ensure you don't have smail eggs.

Sylerwin

Reaction score
What would you recommend as a water change schedule if I choose to add my axies? They've been in a tub together for days, and they're quite unhappy. :( I'd like to get them to their new home as soon as possible.

conradryaan

Reaction score
the water changes really depend on the water it's self. could be 10-15% everyday or every other day. I would(if you haven't) go buy an ammonia test kit and just check your water everyday. you should be able to stay on top of it and if it spikes, just change 50%. it's a lot of work but its a good substitute if you can't wait. hope this helps!
p.s I have four different tanks(not all axolotls) and I have never waited for my tank to cycle. I just stay on top of water changes in the beginning(;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sylerwin

Reaction score
the water changes really depend on the water it's self. could be 10-15% everyday or every other day. I would(if you haven't) go buy an ammonia test kit and just check your water everyday. you should be able to stay on top of it and if it spikes, just change 50%. it's a lot of work but its a good substitute if you can't wait. hope this helps!
p.s I have four different tanks(not all axolotls) and I have never waited for my tank to cycle. I just stay on top of water changes in the beginning(;

So I just change water so ammonia stays at 0ppm?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking that I would do daily water changes to keep the ammonia at 0ppm, or at least close (you need a little bit of ammonia to cycle, right? Maybe .25ppm?) And let me get this correct, I want 0ppm NitrIte, but I do want NitrAte? If I remember correctly--a tank is cycled once ammonia spikes and drops back down to zero, NitrIte spikes and drops back down to zero, and I start getting a reading for NitrAte. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
I've added a few plants in there, though it's not much. Adding feeder fish worry me about introducing disease into the tank, so I think I'm going to steer clear of that. I need to replace a part in my filter which I have to order online, so I only have my filter on for a little bit each day before it starts making a horrible noise. Will having my filter off hinder this process or the well being of my axolotls? Thanks.

conradryaan

Reaction score
live plants help a lot. so stressful water conditions start to happen if your ammonia is above .25, and if your nitrites are above .5, and if your nitrates are above 40mg. all of those things can be lowered by just simply changing some water. after your tank is cycled though you should hardly ever see any ammonia in it. unfortunately you should never have your filter off longer than a few minutes because with out water all the good bacteria in your biological filter will die and then the process just has to start over. if you are going to turn it off I would get some of the tank water in a small container and I would put both, the biological and the carbon filter into the water until you turn it back on that way you are allowing the bacteria to die. I have never heard of a tank cycling this way either but it might work just till you can get the new part in there. hope that helps!

layna

Reaction score
Your tank needs the filter running 24/7 really to cycle and maintain the cycle, especially if your doing a fish in cycle.
If you have to wait a while for the part to fix your filter, i would run out and but a sponge filter and air pump to use in the meantime.
i did a fishless cycle so i didnt have to worry about the water levels becoming toxic but if your doing it with the axies, just use the liquid test kit to check the parameters everyday and keep them below toxic.
At first you want some slight ammonia to get the cycle going but not above .25, if you have 0 ammonia whilst your cycling, the cycle will crash as the nitrITE wont have anything to 'feed' on and the same with nitrITE to nitrATE you need some nitrITE to 'feed' the nitrATE :D
Hope this makes sense haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1