Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I dont know what is wrong with my Axolotl

Androsman

Reaction score
My Leusistic axolotl has turned white and her gills have gotten black spots on them. She is eating VERY well and the temp of the water is around 65* f. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? Photos are provided although dont show the white color too well. She has gotten much whiter than the pink coloration when I first got her.

I would really appreciate any help you can give.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 235
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 185

mewsie

Reaction score
She looks very healthy to me.

Black specks, blobs and freckles are quite common in leucistic axolotls - check out this gorgeous lotl.

When they are very young they are quite translucent - you can make out their organs, which is why she may have appeared pink. As they get older, leucistics will become more opaque - whiter. Just means you can't see their brains or their dinner any more.

They also look paler when they are being lazy, as there is less blood flow to their skin surface.

mewsie

Reaction score
As an example, here's one of mine on a pale day:

rGWoMjh.jpg

And a normal day:

Cjh8Z9D.jpg

(edit: sorry they're appearing all squished up - they're normal proportions if you click on them!)

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
This is my Axie(attached) sometimes hes pale sometimes hes dark, its petty normal, mine used to look like a normal leucy

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 167

Alyce

Reaction score
Would love for my leucy to look like that! Thanks for the question MahhAxolotls for the question and the answer mewsie. Lottie was pale gills when I got home from work and I had a mild freakout. Love this forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!