Converting tank?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I currently have two ADF in my 10 gallon and am going to downsize them to a critter keeper so my 10 is free, However what do I need to do to make my tank safe for a trio of Cyanurus? I know what they need differently as far as habitat ... what I am worried about is bacteria.

Pathogens would pose too much of a risk, so I would completely re-cycle the tank after removing the frogs. Keep in mind that ADF's are notorious for carrying chytrid, so complete sterilization of the tank and transfered objects would be necessary precaution (I believe a vinager rinse followed by serveral washes of hot water would be good enough, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Luckily I have two other running tanks ... So if there is a way I can safely sterilize the sponge so I can just run it in one of my cycled tanks to cycle it quickly.

I have another tank I will pull so thats a clean slate, That tank also has a sponge and was only a betta tank, Now I just need to get more sand and that should solve it all right? Just store away this tank so I don't risk anything?

what do I do with any inverts etc that were in the tank?

Feed them to your axies?

You can wipe down the tank with a vinegar solution and that should kill any possible parasites. If you're REALLY worried (although I wouldn't be; unless you've had the animals in strict quarantine, they've already shared pathogens), you can wipe it down with a bleach solution and leave it to sit in the sun for a day. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse it a couple more times.

as far as I know nothing from one tank has been used in another.

kaysie are you saying I should not bothering sterilizing? Just convert it?

I can't feed applesnails to my axies and even if I could ... would that not risk infecting them?

I am just worried about adding my new shrimp and plants and then finding out I have to kill everything :(

In the whole time you've kept the ADFand your axis, have you ever used anything common? Even a water bucket or dip of the hand? If nothing was passed on to the axis the frogs are probably safe. Even more so if they've been with you for some time and seem healthy

If the tanks are in the same room and each have an air stone, you've already aersolized anything in the water, sharing it between all your tanks, you, your pets, etc.

That being said, I wipe all my tanks with vinegar between uses, as it removes water spots in addition to killing off most gross things (like algae).

I don't think Chytrid is viable as an airborne... I have never heard of that.

No they have shared nothing, I always do the ADF tank last ... And I actually don't need water changes very often thanks to tons of plants :)

The frogs are now coloring up so I think a lot of the " symptoms" were from bad keeping, they are happily swimming around and doing their thing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back