What is this!?

jungleboy01

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found this thing under my water dish in my tiger salamander tank. Can you ID it? And is it bad? Because there might be more in the tank

4ytejuva.jpg

It has a little black head and crawls like a cross between a caterpillar and a worm. Kind of transparent. I can see a black line inside. Maybe it's gi tract

Planaria,I believe .I have these in my tanks the newts eat them and larvae eat their young i think anyway,although adult planaria eat eggs,I have some kind of planaria that thrives in my adult tanks,I cannot bring myself to get rid of it as any larvae i have gets fed for free

It's like an inch and a half long. Still planaria?

Terrestrial flatworms can reach lengths measured in feet, depending on species. I've seen native species over a half inch. However, that looks like a maggot/caterpillar of some kind. Potential lunch, but possible also a sign of something leftover in the cage for insects to feed and nest in.

Looks to me like a crane fly larva.

I just have some moss on coconut substrate with a piece of wood for him to burrow under. Anything that they could survive on?

If there's food buried in there somewhere (a long-forgotten earthworm), that's plenty.

The substrate is only like a month And a half old. So nothing really forgotten. And my salamander eats everything I give him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back