Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Leucistic X Melanoid offspring question

klaydogz

Reaction score
I have eggs growing from a Leucistic Male and Melanoid female does anyone know the potential for the babies? When he fathered eggs with a female leucistic they were all leucistic and a handful of the speckled, freckled babies. Is there any way of knowing what the potential for the babies are? I think I read lavender was a possibility. Light melanoid? Melanoid? Just curious . I am trying to understand genetics, Where as with reptiles I understand them pretty well but Lotl genetics seem a bit more confusing.:eek:

layna

Reaction score
You will most likely get a mixture :D but in order to specifically breed a certain type i think you have to know the grandparents genetics too (if i remember correctly haha)
So you wont really be able to guess until you know the grandparents type or they hatch and grow

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard to tell, as these two genes don't overlap (they don't mix like paint).

Leucistic axolotls have the genotype (d/d), producing 'light' individuals. If you breed two animals that have the same recessive genes, you'll get 100% recessive offspring.

Melanoid axolotls are (m/m), producing melanoid individuals.

Assuming your leucistic is not melanoid, it's genotype (M/x). If it's a recessive carrier (M/m), you would get 50% melanoid offspring with a melanoid individual. If it's dominant (M/M), you will get no melanoids.

Likewise, your melanoid is (D/x). If it's (D/d), and you breed with a leucistic, you'll get 50% 'light' individuals (leucistic or possibly albino if both are carriers of recessive albino). If the melanoid is D/D, you'll get all 'dark' offspring (wildtype, or golden albino if they carry albinism).

klaydogz

Reaction score
I could not find anything that discussed Melanoid genetics . That covered everything else. In my experiences over the last 30 plus years with animals the darker color has always been dominant. Like a color wheel. So this is fascinating to me as all of that goes out the window. I have read a lot of discussions on axolotl genetics but the melanoids are least mentioned. I will say I have some really black larvae and some almost gray ones at day 6. Not that it means anything.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Melanoid is more like an 'overlay' for base colors, it augments the base color. You can have melanoid leucistics, melanoid albinos, melanoid normals, etc.

It's a simple recessive, so for an animal to be melanoid, it must receive a recessive gene from each parent.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1