The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 11th November 2013   #1
Cole Grover

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cole Grover has given good advice and informationCole Grover has given good advice and informationCole Grover has given good advice and information
Default The Ambystoma Appreciation Thread

As the title says, I'd like to make this thread the ultimate in Ambystoma appreciation, with the goal being to see representatives of as many species, subspecies, and regional variants as possible. Please post your (preferably) field photos of terrestrial adults, neotenes/paedomorphs, larvae, and eggs from across Canada, the US, and Mexico. (For less-accessable [in the US and EU] species such as A. andersoni and A. mexicanum, captive photos wild-type specimens are OK.)

I'll get us started:

Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (found when it was COLD one Spring) - Yellowstone County, MT
Click the image to open in full size.

Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (multiple larvae found in a spring-fed cattle tank) - Sheridan County, Wyoming

Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum (the brightest of MANY flipped under rocks) - Stillwater County, Montana

Ambystoma rosaceum (Photo by my buddy Dell Despain) - Sierra del Nido, Chihuahua, Mexico

Last edited by Kaysie; 11th November 2013 at 21:37.
Cole Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013   #2
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Talking Re: The Ambystoma Appreciation Thread

What a great thread idea! Ok I'll post some pictures. Great idea Cole Grover great idea! The ones that are solid brown are A. Gracile. The ones that have a yellowish stripe down the center are A. macrodactylum. -Seth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	33775   Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	33776   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	33777   Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	33778   Click image for larger version

Name:	093.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	33779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	33780   Click image for larger version

Name:	165.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	33781   Click image for larger version

Name:	169.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	33782  

Old 12th November 2013   #3
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: The Ambystoma Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Grover View Post
As the title says, I'd like to make this thread the ultimate in Ambystoma appreciation, with the goal being to see representatives of as many species, subspecies, and regional variants as possible. Please post your (preferably) field photos of terrestrial adults, neotenes/paedomorphs, larvae, and eggs from across Canada, the US, and Mexico. (For less-accessable [in the US and EU] species such as A. andersoni and A. mexicanum, captive photos wild-type specimens are OK.)
Have you considered entering our 2014 calendar photo competition: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gene...-calendar.html ? You have some nice shots here.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013   #4
Evan
(frogman)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and informationfrogman has given consistently excellent advice and information

Ambystoma Mavortium Mavortium
Neotenic Ambystoma Gracile

Here's a few but I have plenty more :)

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013   #5
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Cole, I must say, that first pic you posted is the closest pattern match I've ever seen to my melanostictum..

Old 13th November 2013   #6
Cole Grover

Nationality:
Rep: Cole Grover has given good advice and informationCole Grover has given good advice and informationCole Grover has given good advice and information

Great contributions so far!

Jan,
I hadn't considered it. I don't generally think much of my photography - I'll look into it, though, at your suggestion.

Linus,
They do show a strong similarity. Any clue on the origin of your specimen?

-Cole