Pseudotriton ruber courtship video.

TristanClark

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tristan Clark
So last night I was watching my spring sal and red sal tank, I have an exo terra long low tank thats equal in bottom space to a 40 gallon breeder maybe a bit wider. two spring salamanders and two red salamanders. they get along fine together and im glad of it, they all have their on hiding spots. ive had this tank set up barely a week, last night i noticed my p. ruber were under the same rock and "rubbing" against eachother. i thought about this for a second and then realized what i was witnessing and pulled out my phone and got four videos of the courtship. this went on for close to 2 hours until i went to bed. it was amazing to get to witness it with my own eyes, here are some videos of the courting. I was very suprised when I realized what was happening and I hope I get some eggs in the future. Here are some videos of the courtship.
Red salamander courtship - YouTube
Red salamander courtship 2 - YouTube
Red salamander courtship 3 - YouTube
Red salamander courtship 4 - YouTube

And here is two videos of my tank which shows the spring salamanders and the whole setup. for any of you that are wondering the box turtle shell is only a shell.
Spring salamanders and red salamanders - YouTube
Spring salamanders and red salamanders - YouTube
herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture31238-tank-two-red-salamanders-two-spring-salamanders.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture31373-p-ruber.jpg

herphunter1998-albums-stuff-picture31372-springsal.jpg
Hope you enjoy! :)

Nice videos! I like the setup too, it looks like their happy as well! Congrats on the courting, keep us posted if any eggs come! :D -Seth

The spring sal photo is beautiful. What temps do you keep them at? Their courtship occured at temps which requires cooling?

I keep them cool with icepacks that I change twice a day so the temp is the same its always been. for spring sals, red sals, mud sals, and any desmognathus and some eurycea species a good rule is nothing warmer than 65 for them to thrive.

Yeah i know that, i was just curious what exact temps do you keep with those ice packs in the tank.

i dont really know exact temps but i can tell you its between 55 and 65

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back