Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Studies on Reptile Intelligence: How Smart is Your Pet?

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career of over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo. [FONT=&quot]A key indicator of intelligence is said to be behavioral flexibility – the ability to modify actions to fit new situations. Long thought to rely mainly upon instinct, reptiles have not been credited with much “brain power”. However, recent research revealed that many reptiles are capable of solving complex problems that are not “covered” by instinct, and can use what they’ve learned in the future (see NY Times; Nov. 18, 2013). Although reptiles diverged from warm blooded creatures at least 280 million years ago, some meet or even exceed the problem-solving abilities of birds and mammals. This will not surprise reptile owners, of course![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’m often amazed by what I observe among the reptiles under my care, and would like to summarize some of that, and several interesting experiments, here. I hope you will post your own experiences below. This is a new area of research, so please feel free to boast, and remember that each new observation, however fleeting, has value.[/FONT]
Read the rest of this article here New Studies on Reptile Intelligence - How Smart is Your Pet?

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

sde

Reaction score
Hi Frank! ( I want to be a herpetologist when I grow up by the way, so its cool to have one on here ).

So, the other day I was feeding my newts, and, like usual, my male came out first to eat, but then my female started coming out. She then proceeded to step on his head, which in turn discouraged him from feeding much.

Now I know that newts aren't reptiles but I decided to share anyhow.

Now, I am thinking maybe that she stepped on his head because she knew that that would happen. Is this a possibility? -Seth

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Hi Frank! ( I want to be a herpetologist when I grow up by the way, so its cool to have one on here ).

So, the other day I was feeding my newts, and, like usual, my male came out first to eat, but then my female started coming out. She then proceeded to step on his head, which in turn discouraged him from feeding much.

Now I know that newts aren't reptiles but I decided to share anyhow.

Now, I am thinking maybe that she stepped on his head because she knew that that would happen. Is this a possibility? -Seth

Hi Seth,

Newt/salamander behavior is more complicated than we realized in the past...red backed salamanders stake out and mark specific territories, Cal newts can return to home pond when displaced by miles, etc/. They definitely interact, compete, etc, so you suggestion could very well be true. Glad to hear you are interested in a career in this field - take notes on what you see, record your ideas, theories, no matter how far-fetched they may seem (who could imagine we'd find bark-eating tadpoles in trees, for example!). We know less aout salamanders than any other herp group, much to be learned.

Let me know if you need career info as time goes on; the following articles are on herpetology careers, volunteering - there are many other otpions, routes to tske, these are just some ideas:
The 10 Best Ways to Prepare for a Career in Herpetology - Part 1

The 10 Best Ways to Prepare for a Career in Herpetology - Part 2

Reptile and Amphibian Conservation: Volunteer Opportunities Involving Field Research

Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles

Enjoy, Frank

sde

Reaction score
Thanks Frank! Never would have thought that there would be bark eating tadpoles!

Salamanders are what I like best, newts actually. I am learning fast.....I think. Thanks again! -Seth

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
Thanks Frank! Never would have thought that there would be bark eating tadpoles!

Salamanders are what I like best, newts actually. I am learning fast.....I think. Thanks again! -Seth

Your state has some interesting species; ...I still recall the first pacific giant Salamander I came across...amazing. If you click on categories here you'll reach newt and salamander articles...but function is not great, others get mixed in. I can send links if there's something you cannot find. Any of your observations, questions welcomed on any article. I've written a Newt/Sal book for Barron's...1st edition was better than second, re newts, but editorial guidelines changed. Not sure if 1st is still available, but it went into career prep., my observations a bit.

Enjoy, Frank

sde

Reaction score
Thanks again Frank!

I too remember the first time I found a pacific giant, a little female, 51/2 inches. I was so excited! I am most interested in Taricha Granulosa, however I like all Amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
    Shane douglas: with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred... +1