Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unhappy axolotl , what do I do ?

Porcupine34

Reaction score
We have had our axl since beginning of December .
He has a massive tank, a filter for his water we partial water change once a week and check it inbetween. We feed him defrosted bloodworm and there are a few live snails in his tank for snacks as I was told he would like that.
I read all the forum comments and made sure he had sand as a substrate so there wasn't any stone issues and we do struggle with the temperature . But have regular cold bottles going in as recommended whilst the heating is on. But he is lethargic and not eating alot and now he has a white spot on his skin and a mark under his eye.
I don't know what else to do ???
My son loves axl and talks to him all the time . I don't know what we are doing wrong ?? x

auntiejude

Reaction score
What exactly are your water parameters? Whats the temperature? And did you cycle the tank before you got him?
What kind of sand do you have?
Can you post a photo of your axie and the 'white spot'?
How big is he and how old?
Who told you to add snails? You have to be very careful with snails - the wrong type can be eaten and caused impaction or injury, you have to know what you're doing.

Yeah, lots of questions, but without the info we can't really help.

Kaini

Reaction score
White spots can be a sign of heat stress, but it sorta depends on what it looks like. It could also be fungus. Same questions as auntiejude, what are your water parameters, do you test them regularly? Axies are really sensitive to bad water parms, and I'm going to guess this is probably your problem. If the tank wasn't cycled that's likely what is stressing him out.

Porcupine34

Reaction score
I cycled the tank as we have had tropical fish for years so know how important it his to cycle the water for any creature fish or amphibian . I did a
Partial water change last night so will take fresh water readings tonight. I will also take photos and put them up. He's in his cave looking sad at the moment :( the water temp fluctuates between without the heating on 16c and with it on 19 c but we put frozen ice bottles in regularly when the heatings on .
I used tropical fish sand . And the person in the fish shop said not to remove the snails from plant life as they like to eat them? Should I get rid of them ?
I'm so upset that I'm responsible for such an unhappy axl.

layna

Reaction score
Tropical fish sand?
This may have something to do with it.
Also if your axie is over 5" he should be on earthworms and his tummy should be kept as wide as his head :D

auntiejude

Reaction score
If they are ordinary little brown/black pond snails, and your axie is a decent size you'll probably be OK. It's the big hard-shell snails and the trapdoors that could cause probelms, especially for juvies.

So we need pics now, an approximate size, and it would be useful to know how you feed your axie - off the sand or in a bowl/jar.

Porcupine34

Reaction score
Can you see the pictures?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 428

auntiejude

Reaction score
OK, he looks more or less fully groen - how old and how big is he?
And where is the white spot?

Porcupine34

Reaction score
One more, the pet shop weren't sure how old he was . So I don't know .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 265

auntiejude

Reaction score
At that size he should be on earthworms.
The photos are not clear enough to see anything - try stepping back and getting your axie in focus rather than trying to get close.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
From the pictures, your axolotl looks fine. Adult axolotls only need to be fed 1-3 times a week, and if food magically appeared in front of them and poop disappeared behind, I don't know if mine would ever leave their hides.

You don't need to add ice to the water if it's already below 20c. You're just stressing him out by constantly putting things in and out.

Porcupine34

Reaction score
Sorry for delay x my daughter has been in hospital today :( only rains when it pours....
Nitrite 0.3
Nitrate 10
Ph 8
Ammonia 0

New pictures as spot has covered bottom of tail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 275
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!